Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

ETL for Free-Form Data Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:17 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:13 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item ETL for Free-Form Data
Post #472061
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:48 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:46 AM
I am not impressed with the article. I am not clear what the author wants to say bythese lines in step 1:

' The only thing that should change is the data field value itself. For example, I created this procedure to get GPS data from web-based truck fleet reports into a Data Warehouse staging table. '

I may not be clear but someone can explain me on this.

Regards

Anirban

Post #472096
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:03 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Sunday, August 11, 2013 1:09 PM
I don’t like to use third party components if I don’t have to. I think a simpler solution would be to do a page scrape and then parse it with regular expressions. No need for XML or components.

Post #472211
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:57 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 9:34 AM
When I started reading this, even the introduction sounded like a sales pitch. This isn't an article, it's an advertisment. I suppose it will be useful to some that can't figure out how to do this with the native components of SQL Server.

I also agree about the 3rd party component thing that was previously mentioned... I avoid them.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #472318
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:21 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 1:20 PM
This could just as easily (perhaps more easily) be done by pumping the raw XML into a staging table column and using the native SQL Server XML data type's .nodes() and .value() methods.
Post #472335
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:51 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 9:34 AM
See? That's what I mean... don't need 3rd party products for this type of stuff.

Thanks for the info, Mike...

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #472361
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:54 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:34 AM
Parsing is, in my opinion, client-side responsibility. Doing these kind of things is SQL Server is not impossible neither difficult but I tend to pass that to specialized languages that are better equiped for the job.

Just my $0.02

* Noel
Post #472364
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:38 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 1:20 PM
noeld (3/20/2008)
Parsing is, in my opinion, client-side responsibility. Doing these kind of things is SQL Server is not impossible neither difficult but I tend to pass that to specialized languages that are better equiped for the job.

Just my $0.02

System.Xml namespace includes several objects with methods for this type of XML parsing and manipulation as well if you wanted to do it on the client-side.
Post #472404
Posted Monday, March 24, 2008 10:24 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Monday, June 23, 2014 6:40 PM
When I suggested one of the site in some post on SSC. I got an email that
"We don't link/promote any sites on SSC." So I feel sorry that I did something wrong. But now SSC is forcing to read the PURE advertisement for Third party tool. I don't understand what was the purpose of this article?
Post #473578
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse