Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Create a Tally or Numbers Table Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:46 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Create a Tally or Numbers Table

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #467926
Posted Tuesday, April 1, 2008 7:26 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Heh... I love it... someone gave me the ultra low mark of 1 star and didn't even have the nerve to tell me why.

Would it help if I told you that the method I used creates a million rows in about 5 seconds?

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #478182
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:31 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:19 AM
Hi Jeff

Your code was no 1 that's why the person gave you 1. Why are asking for explanation?

Joke apart the article was fine. :)

Post #491903
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Heh... that's funny... hadn't thought of it that way, AnirBan. :D

I actually have an article coming out in the very near future as to "how and why" Tally tables work and and how then can be used to replace loops... the script here was just to make it easy for me to refer to when I post replies.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #492563
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:11 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:19 AM
Jeff Moden (4/29/2008)
Heh... that's funny... hadn't thought of it that way, AnirBan. :D

I actually have an article coming out in the very near future as to "how and why" Tally tables work and and how then can be used to replace loops... the script here was just to make it easy for me to refer to when I post replies.

I will definitely wait for your article........:)

Post #492610
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:44 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:14 PM
Jeff, just so you know, I gave you a 5 because I didn't give you a 1, 2, 3, or 4, and 5 is the maximum. I just want to make sure you know the reason for my rating! :D

Kidding aside, I, too, will be awaiting your articles on usage of this table...
Post #493002
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:15 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Thanks guys... I sure do appreciate your feedback.

I just got word that it's coming out on May the 7th.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #493051
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:48 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 5:15 PM
The only thing I would find fault with is that it is too proprietary -- IDENTITY, references to system tables.

I also call this table Sequence because that is what it is. It is not a Tally -- there is nothing being tallied. It is more than a set of Numbers -- it cannot have gaps and must start with 1.

The bad news is that SEQUENCE is now a reserved word in SQL:2003 for a generator function. Arrgh!

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
Analytics and OLAP in SQL
Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Trees and Hierarchies in SQL
Post #493090
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

But, it is a Tally table... it's used to count. And, besides... as you've already found out ol' friend... Tally is not likely to ever be a reserved word. "Sequence" has been a reserved word in things like Oracle for a long time... ;)

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #493360
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

And you actually believe in the myth of code portability? That'll only happen when no one creates their own extensions to the ANSI standards. :P

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #493362
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse