Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Remove/Suppress line/row if blank Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:49 AM
In VFP there is a value called 'remove line if blank' which eliminates blank space. How it could be done in SQL Reporting Services?

OR in Crystal report there also an option of row property "suppress if blank"

Any one have idea how it can be achieved in SQL Reporting?

Thanks
Post #464899
Posted Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:49 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:14 AM
In Reporting Services almost every object (including rows in tables) has a property called Visible, this property can be set using an expression. Let's assume you have a column called SalesRegion and you want to blank the details line if this field is blank:

First, select the details line on the left side and then go to the properties area, click on the Visible property to open it up then click on the drop down next to Hidden and select expression.

In the expression you would put something like this:

=IIF(Fields!SalesRegion.Value = "",TRUE,FALSE)

Basically what this means is if the sales region is blank then set the attribute Visible/Hidden to TRUE (i.e. hide the object) otherwise set it to FALSE (display the object).

Good luck,
Nigel.

Nigel West
UK
Post #468704
Posted Monday, June 02, 2008 10:05 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:12 PM
I believed we are looking for a solution to hide a line object in crystal report not the field
Post #510385
Posted Friday, June 20, 2008 1:45 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:37 AM
I've done this, but it still gives me a blank line.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Margaret

Thanks and have a NICE day!,

Margaret

Post #521026
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:51 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:30 AM
I too am having a similar problem.

I am trying to suppress certain columns in a matrix. I have set the visible property on them to False and they are rendering as blank columns.

I am trying to add a custom totals column to each group. so I have created a parent group which holds two child groups, the second child group is a single column of custom totals. I have collapsed and hidden the first child group so everything is displaying correctly, except that the first child column still exists as a blank column.

I know I can accomplish this in RS2008, but I don't have that option, I am stuck in RS2005. I'll try and post here if I ever find a solution, but it seems unlikely at this point.
Post #556188
Posted Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:11 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:20 AM
Actually, the property is the "Hidden" property, and it's within a property group known as Visibility. When set to False, the object IS visible, and when set to True, the object disappears. In a table, you would need the entire row's visibility to change, which is separately controllable from the individual text boxes within. You have to make the entire row hidden and not just the individual text boxes within it. Each row has a separate "Hidden" property.

Hopefully, that helps clarify where to set the expression, and clears up what to set it to to get invisibility.

This DOES apply to RS 2005, by the way.

Steve
(aka smunson)
:):):)

Steve
(aka sgmunson)

Internet ATM Machine
Post #556667
Posted Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:28 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

My visibility issue is with a matrix column (actually a collapsed group column), not a table row. Table rows are much simpler to make the visibility thing work on.

While I still haven't solved the visibility issue, I did find an alternate method of solving the source problem. My original issue was needing a custom totals column for my column grouping in a matrix table in RS2005.

It has been my experience that reporting services is extremely bad at handling large amounts of data, so I generally do as much aggregating in a stored procedure as possible before returning the result set to reporting services. This means that at my lowest level of grouping in a matrix reporting services isn't doing any aggregating, it is simply displaying the data.

Because of this I can wrap the lowest level in either First(), Last(), or Sum() and it will return the same value when fully expanded; however the functions play a critical role when the group is collapsed. If I have created a custom total column and ordered it last in each of my column groupings then I can wrap the value in the Last() function and when the group is collapsed it will only display the last column of values rather than auto summing them for me.
Post #556685
Posted Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:15 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 7:20 AM
Jereme,

Most of my post was intended at clarifying the details, as many questions were asked that suggested there was confusion. Even one of your posts talks about having the visibility property as False to hide the column, and, at least in RS 2005 anyway, that would need to be set to True to hide any given object. As you also referred to it as "visibility", clarifying that it's actually the "hidden" property might help folks understand why True means don't display it and False means display it. If you set it to False, that could have been your problem.

Of course, in your situation, avoiding the need in the first place is a much better solution.

Steve
(aka smunson)

Steve
(aka sgmunson)

Internet ATM Machine
Post #556726
Posted Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:55 AM
Right there with Babe

smunson (8/21/2008)
Jereme,

Most of my post was intended at clarifying the details, as many questions were asked that suggested there was confusion. Even one of your posts talks about having the visibility property as False to hide the column, and, at least in RS 2005 anyway, that would need to be set to True to hide any given object. As you also referred to it as "visibility", clarifying that it's actually the "hidden" property might help folks understand why True means don't display it and False means display it. If you set it to False, that could have been your problem.

Of course, in your situation, avoiding the need in the first place is a much better solution.

Steve
(aka smunson)

Good point Steve. I was trying to refer to the concept rather than a specific attribute, probably should have been more specific.
Post #556810
Posted Friday, December 05, 2008 7:51 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:30 AM
tshadab (3/6/2008)
In VFP there is a value called 'remove line if blank' which eliminates blank space. How it could be done in SQL Reporting Services?

OR in Crystal report there also an option of row property "suppress if blank"

Any one have idea how it can be achieved in SQL Reporting?

Thanks

I think tshadab want to remove the blank line.. when an object is hidden in Reporting Services..

like a floating option:

textbox1
textbox2 (set to hidden)
textbox3

to get:
textbox1
textbox3

NOT
textbox1
<-- (blank line)
textbox3

(you can check my other post on microsoft's forums)
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2228455&SiteID=1
Post #614555
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse