Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

SSIS package version control Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:04 AM
The following tool, while built for versioning entire SQL Sever (and works with SourceSafe, Subversion and TFS) - also does SSIS packages:

http://www.nobhillsoft.com/Randolph.aspx

Post #830963
Posted Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:23 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:49 PM
yonision (12/8/2009)
The following tool, while built for versioning entire SQL Sever (and works with SourceSafe, Subversion and TFS) - also does SSIS packages:
http://www.nobhillsoft.com/Randolph.aspx

What does this do for SSIS that subversion doesn't?
Post #830976
Posted Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:26 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:04 AM
It simply relieves you of the responsibility of maintaining it. you work on your SSIS packages, whenever you change anything, the history is added into subversion. you dont need to do anything, youre free to focus on your work, knowing that the history is always there in your repository. see?

Post #831020
Posted Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:46 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

No I don't see. When does it commit? on every save? If so that's a problem since we can only commit a buildable working version.
Red Gate is coming out with a similar product for Management Studio that integrates with Subversion. This will allow us to version all our stored procedures, views, triggers, udf's ect...
We are part of the beta group, can't wait.
Post #831307
Posted Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:46 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 3, 2012 5:34 PM
We're starting to use TortoiseSVN and it seems to work well. Previously we just made backup copies in the filesystem. We don't so anything fancy - no solutions or projects, just individual DTSX files.
Post #832162
Posted Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:10 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, June 6, 2013 10:10 AM
So I implemented the "svn:needs-lock" property to ensure that only one .dtsx package could be owned by a developer but now I'm getting annoying "check-out" prompts when viewing Data Flows. How are you other SVN users working around this? In this scenario I'm not wanting to grab a lock on the file, I just want to view it.

EDIT:
Let me throw some more information at you. I was experimenting a little and it seems the number of "check-out" prompts is directly related to the number of Lookup tasks in the Data Flow.
Post #832188
Posted Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:41 AM

SSC-Addicted

Matt you mentioned using the keyword sub and update the revision comments.
From what I read SVN simply searches the document looking for a text string such as $Rev$ and then replaces it with a value such as $Rev: 12 $: This indicates that the revision of the package when committed was 12.
Do you simply put the value "$Rev$" into the version comments field. Then on commit will it update the working copy with the committed revision number?
thanks
Post #847795
Posted Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:05 PM

SSC-Addicted

After some more looking i have the SVN keyword substitution working. Quite simple in fact. On the working directory right click on the folder that contains all the DTSX files - mouse over Tortoise SVN - click properties. Click New then select svn:keywords from the dropdown and for the value entered "Rev" and mark the checkbox to apply recursive this then set the property for every file in the folder. At this point I did a commit since each file was modified.
I didn't worry about other files (non-dtsx) since the property will be there but it will not perform the substitution unless the specific string is found within the file contents.
Next opened the solution and set the value of the Version Comments property on each package to $Rev$
Saved all then committed. Checked the version comments and found the version number in the comments field. Very slick, now I can setup my logging to include the SVN version number.
Post #848033
Posted Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:28 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, August 6, 2012 9:31 AM
Matt,

Do you ahve any idea how Subversion handles SSRS projects?

Thanks!
Stad.
Post #1047549
Posted Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:33 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:01 AM
I use it with SSRS every day.

I would exclude the following types of files though (not check them in)

.data
.suo
.user

Since these are user specific they can cause problems if you have multiple people working on a solution.
Post #1047553
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse