Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««678910»»

The Cost of Function Use In A Where Clause Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:01 PM
GregoryAJackson (3/4/2008)
function use in the SELECT List and or on the JOIN can also cause severe problems (maybe even worse then in the WHERE Clause).

by placing a Function in the select, that function will execute 1x per row.

We had these at my work also when I first got there. They were causing terrible performance system wide.

Removing them all helped immensely. typically you can replace the functions with some other mechanism of retrieving the data needed (Derived tables, correlated subQueries, etc)

you really need to pay close attention to the Query Plan and specifically to the SubTree cost of the plan. If the SubTree cost approaches 10.0 (in my experience), you need to consider modifying the query.

Cheers,

GAJ

Actually - there was a thread recently on this - and that is by no means true in general. Meaning - there are lots of exceptions. Simple scalar functions, especially deterministic ones, tend to be treated as scalar values that simply replicate on down the line.

It's largely a matter of what goes in (inputs), whether the inputs are based on the row, whether the function is in effect deterministic AND is marked correctly as such (as I came to find out).

Now - if you were using functions to mask a CSQ - then yes - that can be a terrible drag on your performance, but still - it depends a LOT on what the function is doing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #463791
Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:57 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:35 AM
Carl Federl and I did some pretty good testing a couple of years back and it very much supports what Matt says... it depends on the function, how it's written, how it's used, where it's used, etc. Carl and I found out that some functions actually operated quicker than the equivalent inline code while others cause huge drags... and everything in between. It also depends on whether or not parallelism is spawned and for what reason.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #463805
Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:59 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:39 PM
Ahh....good catch.

I was Assuming that the function used in the SELECT depended on the Row (as in a correlated subQuery).

Yes it very much depends on the function, what it's doing, how it's used, etc.

I needed to be more clear.

GAJ

Gregory A Jackson MBA, CSM
Post #463808
Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:00 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

If you want to check out the thread I was referring to - it's over here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic454846-371-2.aspx#bm455633

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #463809
Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:07 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks a bunch Matt,

I definately will

GAJ

Post #463816
Posted Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:10 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:30 PM
Thanks GAJ, Matt and Jeff for the valuable information on functions usage.

Rishi
Post #464240
Posted Wednesday, March 5, 2008 10:21 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

You bet, Rishi... thank you for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #464589
Posted Wednesday, March 5, 2008 10:37 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Rishi,

You're very welcome.

I never imagined this trivial little article would have generated so much interest and such a vigorous discussion thread.

I'm very glad that SQLServerCentral published the article now.

cheers,

Post #464613
Posted Wednesday, March 5, 2008 10:43 AM

SSCertifiable

Rishi -
Glad it's been useful. I learned a lot from it for myself...

Post #464615
Posted Wednesday, March 5, 2008 10:47 AM

SSC-Dedicated

GregoryAJackson (3/5/2008)
Rishi,

You're very welcome.

I never imagined this trivial little article would have generated so much interest and such a vigorous discussion thread.

I'm very glad that SQLServerCentral published the article now.
cheers,

Apprently, it wasn't so trivial... Thanks for taking the time to write it, Greg.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #464618
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««678910»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse