Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

HierarchyID Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, February 22, 2008 12:13 AM
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item HierarchyID
Post #458937
Posted Friday, February 22, 2008 4:57 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:32 AM
For me, this was a great question. The Microsoft link explains the properties in a concise and understandable way and the meat of what it explains is actually also the answer to this question. Kudos to the questions' creator.

Jamie
Post #459035
Posted Friday, February 22, 2008 6:31 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:42 PM
I got the answer right, but i still think "i is less deep in the tree than j" is just as good an answer. I just figured theyd want to hear the more complicated way of saying it.
Post #459062
Posted Friday, February 22, 2008 6:58 AM

SSCrazy

After taking a few MS Certification exams, I have noticed that many questions tend to ask a question and provide a multiple choice answer that allows more than one answer to be correct. It may just be a current technology among educators to test someone's ability to discern the best answer rather just any answer. It makes the tests more difficult.

Jamie
Post #459084
Posted Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:17 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, October 22, 2012 8:55 AM
Consider the following
o
/ \
o i
/
j

I is less deep than J, yet in a 'depth first' search, it may not necessarily come before J in a search.. Only in a BREADTH-FIRST search would I ALWAYS come before J.....

In a depth-first search their ordering is indeterminate unless i is one of j's ancestors.

Post #531571
Posted Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:51 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 9:56 AM
In that diagram, correct, but if I < J, then it would come before it.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #531803
Posted Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:45 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, October 22, 2012 8:55 AM
Hi Steve, thanks for the response, but I was tackling Jamie and gdelgado's agreement that both phrases

"In a depth-first traversal, node i comes before node j"
and
"I is lower in the tree than J"

are equivalent but one is 'worded nicer' and therefore the 'accepted answer'.

I was presenting a counter-case where one was true and the other wrong to show that they aren't just equivalent, but in fact your question was subtle and the answers weren't word-play tricks a-la MCSE questions.

:)
Post #532020
Posted Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:30 PM

SSCrazy

but in fact your question was subtle and the answers weren't word-play tricks a-la MCSE questions.

If my meaning was that it was intended to be a trick question, then this is true. Reflecting back, I think I made the testing allusion because I was thinking at the time that how this particular question clearly reflected the concept of breadth first vs depth first and was indeed, NOT tricky. My comment history would probably reflect that I tend to think the questions are tricky at times. In this case, however; I am applauding the author on writing one that gave more clarity to a lesser known concept.

Jamie
Post #532039
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse