Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

The Unpopular SELECT Statement Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, February 25, 2008 10:08 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:49 AM
This is a nice article... powered by hands on experience....
it helps to get abasic idea about some data werehousing aspects...
Credit for the author

Post #460053
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:14 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:23 AM
Hi guys,
I have a similar problem as Steven, when it comes to restoring a OLAP database. I'm trying to restore the database to another computer then the one I toke the backup from. The error message is similar to this one:

"The ddl2:MemberKeyUniqueElement at line 97, column 10600 (namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2) cannot appear under Load/ObjectDefinition/Dimension/Hierarchies/Hierarchy.
Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when instantiating a metadata object from the file, '\\?\c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\Sales2.0.db\Dim Date.1.dim.xml'.
Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when loading the Sales cube, from the file, '\\?\c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL ServeMSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\Sales2.0.db\Sales.2.cub.xml'. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices)"

The dimensions and cube is not the same, obviously.

Anyone got a solution to the problem? I might have to add that this orginally was a totally SQL 2008 project (SSMS & BIDS 2008), which I'm running on a SQL 2005 database engine with BIDS 2008.

Thankful for all possible help!

Regards,
Post #555617
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:42 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, January 14, 2013 4:24 AM
Hi, try scripting the AS database on the old AS server to XMLA then run the XMLA script on the new AS Server to create the AS DB.
Change the data source if necessary (to point to the new relational engine), process the AS database and browse it.
HTH,
Vincent
Post #555651
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:34 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:23 AM
Hi Vincent,

I found the solution to my problem on another website. I needed to check that SQL Server 2005 SP2 is installed on the source/target server, if not install it.

I tried your solution before installing the SP2, but during execution it failed.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards
Post #555888
Posted Friday, January 30, 2009 6:42 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 3:43 AM
A nice basic introduction!

I myself have wrestled with AS2005 in practice and seeing how easy others run into problems given all the post here are about just that, I get heavy Deja Vu. Some things are good but from a modeling, querying and maintainability point I never accepted AS2005 as a finished product (not even as beta in fact).

All I can say is that if you are interested in digging deeper into multi-dimensional modeling, be prepared to have major setbacks on anything but the most basic examples. Spacial thinking and reasoning in 5 dimensions (so along 5 axis) and more is pretty straightforward if you know multi-dimensional arrays from programming or have done complex queries in SQL within a star diagram.

After all you don't need to visualise the dimensions to understand them and you don't need to perform rotations and other complex geometry within that multi-dimensional space to collect meaningful data. That would realy be impossible for all but maybe 2 humans on this planet that can deal with 5 dimensions without computerised visualisation assistance.

The often untold truth is that AS works nothing like all examples let you think. Also prepare for the case that a lot of information you read is likely to contain mistakes or has contradictions with other sources of information and instead of help they can just as easily put you on the wrong track.

At least this is what I found a few years back when I had a solution that worked well in SQL and I understood in full. The project was to move all the data into AS2005 so reporting would become easyer for the customer as they could use their own tools instead of using our application. The story ended with sticking to SQL for reporting as having user readable reports contradicted with the requirement of querying the same data via MDX to get application interpretable table (2D) results.

I won't spoil the exercise, just make sure you understand every step of the way and do heavy testing. Query results can become quite deceiving in that things seem to work, but turn out not to under certain conditions. Logic the way you are used to in SQL does not apply when it comes to MDX!

I am bound to get some flak over this by AS folks, but even people I asked that *know* had to guess a lot of the time. They just try it in a data browser and if the answer seems ok, they accept it as working...not good enaugh for me I am afraid.
Post #646884
Posted Friday, January 30, 2009 8:50 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, July 6, 2012 7:03 AM
Who ate the figures?

All I get is blue boxes

Halfbubble ------------
You just can't do this stuff unless you're at least half a bubble off center.
Post #647043
Posted Friday, January 30, 2009 9:21 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 11:00 AM
I enjoyed reading this article, thank you. I have been using SQL Server 2005 for a couple of years now, in particular SSIS and SSRS. However, I have not used SSAS so far, because the work that I have been involved in did not require the use of SSAS. If I were to start learning SSAS, would your book be a good starting point or is it too advanced for a beginer? I don't know the MDX language, but am a very confident T-SQL developer.
By the way, unlike some of the readers who could not download the database and restore it, I restored the database and viewed and queried the cube as per your instructions with no difficulties.
Post #647078
Posted Friday, January 30, 2009 10:29 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:05 AM
How to AUTOMATE the process and deployment of the CUBE when new data added to the FACT and DIMENTION table.
Post #647158
Posted Friday, January 30, 2009 10:36 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:29 PM
Vincent, Nice Article :)

And an excellent discussion posting. We often put on our 'Analyst Hat' and dive into things before we've put on our 'Systems' or 'DBA' hat to actually get a project set-up. I know I often find my self going back, saying to myself 'Whoops, forgot to set that up!, Whoops, need SP2 update 6.' etc. etc. etc.

That's why we're not brain surgeon's...

All good notes for you for the next edition ;)

peace,

Alan
Post #647163
Posted Friday, January 30, 2009 5:31 PM

SSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, January 14, 2013 4:24 AM
All, thank you for all your comments. Sanjarani, for learning SSAS my book is not the right one. My book is about building a data warehouse and BI, so the coverage on SSAS is very limited. To learn SSAS, it is better to read 2008 books rather than 2005 ones, because of the improvements in SSAS 2008. Irina Gorbach, Edward Melomed and Alexander Berger are reknown expert in SSAS and I'm grateful that they spared their time writing a good SSAS 2008 book (0672330016), which I enjoyed a lot. Another good SSAS book is Sivakumar Harinath and Robert Zare's (0470247983). Although it is in 2005, Teo Lachev's book (0976635305) is extremely structured, and will be a great help to anybody starting SSAS journey.
vchintapanti, to automatically process (refresh) the cube when new data is added in the data warehouse, we can either use a ROLAP partition, or use ProActive Caching. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174769.aspx explains the considerations.
Post #647412
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse