Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Laptop Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:27 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:50 AM
Just to back up majorbloodnock, Toshiba are good.

I borrowed a Dell from work and just didn't like the machine. Resolution was horrible, keyboard was terrible and well it only had 512MB so it was slow for SQL Server.

My wife works for Toshiba, so I bought a Tecra A9, 160GB, 2GB RAM - I did get a nice discount through her employee purchase :)

Vista is absolutely horrible so I uninstalled that straight away and installed XP. SQL Server 2005 developer runs like a dream. I've not toyed with the VM side of things yet, but it runs SQL with no problem.
Post #452644
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:33 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:28 AM
I ditto the Vista issue. Learning a new OS while trying to learn SQL Server is NOT a good combination.

As far as laptops go, I've got an older Sony Viao that I'm running XP and SQL 2005 on. The hard drive is only 40 GB which makes it hard for me to do big stuff (considering all the other crap on my box), but it still works pretty well for most of my developing / playing at home. And like I said, it's an older model which is why the hard drive is so small.

2 GB of RAM. SSIS is a little slow, depending on what else I've got running at the time. Database Engine connecting in SSMS to a remote SQL Server (over wireless network) is slow too, but local DB connections are fine. Despite this, the Viao hasn't caused me any problems yet.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #452647
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:54 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:53 AM
The biggest thing that I can't believe that no one has mentioned - hard drive SPEED!!

Don't get a laptop with a hard drive slower than 7200 if you can. My work laptop has a 5400 drive in it and it just kills the performance of the laptop. This is where a lot of laptop manufacturers cut corners. I have even seen some new laptops with hard drives SLOWER than 5400!

You are also going to want to get the 'desktop replacement' type of laptop, and not the smaller laptops out there. Go for performance specs if you are looking to test out SQL Server.

Also, after you get the machine, max out the memory.

Send me a personal message and I can direct you to a website that gives just about the best deals on laptops that you can find. I have bought a bunch of stuff from them and am very happy with the results.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live
Will Summers
Post #452677
Posted Friday, February 8, 2008 7:27 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 21, 2013 10:48 AM
I thought that the Vostro line was for small businesses - i.e. they require buying in lots of five or more.

I know someone who tried to call and buy a Vostro that was listed at about $650 in the advertisement. The Dell rep said they had to but 5 or more to get a Vostro. When they speced out a home laptop with the same specs, it ended up being almost $900.

Check to see if you can get just one Vostro.

As for myself, I have a Macbook Pro and I love it. It is definitely not the cheapest alternative, but it is the best put-together laptop I've ever seen. I use Parallels to run windows apps (including SQL Server).

Post #453242
Posted Friday, February 8, 2008 7:32 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, April 13, 2014 11:32 AM
Chris,

I would definately prefer a Macbook, but i didnt know you could run SQL Server on it?

How does parallels work - is it basically a virtual machine type program that allows you to install XP on?

M
Post #453245
Posted Friday, February 8, 2008 7:49 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:18 PM
ChrisMoix (2/8/2008)
I thought that the Vostro line was for small businesses - i.e. they require buying in lots of five or more.

I know someone who tried to call and buy a Vostro that was listed at about $650 in the advertisement. The Dell rep said they had to but 5 or more to get a Vostro. When they speced out a home laptop with the same specs, it ended up being almost $900.

Check to see if you can get just one Vostro.

As for myself, I have a Macbook Pro and I love it. It is definitely not the cheapest alternative, but it is the best put-together laptop I've ever seen. I use Parallels to run windows apps (including SQL Server).

You can get them one at a time from the outlet ("dell outlet DOT com"). If you don't care for the refurbished line - stick to the "previously ordered new" (a.k.a overshipments and mis-orders).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #453250
Posted Friday, February 8, 2008 8:10 AM

SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 21, 2013 10:48 AM
There are several ways to go with Mac OS X.

1. Bootcamp - you dual boot, i.e. you can boot straight into normal Windows (XP or Vista. I don't know if they have drivers for anything else there. No virtualization - it runs just like any other laptop.

2. Virtualization - boot into OS X and you can use either Parallels or VMWare Fusion to run a Windows virtual machine on top of OSX. Fro what you are talking about, you would probably be better off with Fusion, but I have no experience with Fusion, only parallels.

And for an interesting twist, you can do both. Set up Bootcamp then with boot into native windows, or boot Mac OS X and then run your bootcamp partition as a virtual machine (at least you can in Parallels, once again I'm not sure about Fusion).

I'm in grad school getting my MBA in Finance while I'm working full time as a DBA, and I've loved working on the Macbook Pro for both. You could also look into a Macbook(or a Mac mini for that matter), if you want an Apple but want to save a little bit of money.

Post #453262
Posted Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:00 PM

SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, April 13, 2014 11:32 AM
Just for information i decided to go with a Dell XPS M1530 with the following spec:

Intel Dual Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.0ghz
2048gb ram (gonna up it to 4gb in the next couple of weeks)
250 gb 5,400rpm hdd (im going to upgrade to 120 7,200rpm soon)

Its running Vista Home Premium but im considering downgrading to XP Pro as it feels a little sluggish.

Matt.
Post #465519
Posted Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:14 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:18 PM
Vista Home Premium will not allow you to run SSRS. It just plain won't install from what I can tell. As being a "home" product, MS saw fit to cripple its Windows Authentication support in IIS, ergo - no SSRS.

Go back to XP, or upgrade it to Vista Business (XP if you plan on using DataDude).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #465574
Posted Friday, March 7, 2008 3:09 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:07 AM
When you get to look at software, I recommend a TechNet Plus Direct subscription. MS in UK has a special offer for new subscribers until 18 March - GBP £188 + VAT. This is about the same as the renewal price. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/ms788692.aspx

This allows you to download any MS server and office software, but Visual Studio is not included. So for £188 you get Vista Ultimate, Office 2007 Ultimate, W2003 Enterprise, SQL Server 2005 Enterprise, etc, etc, for personal use only. You can even upgrade existing Vista boxes to XP! IMHO one of the best deals going.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 18 October 2014: now over 31,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #465693
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse