Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Solving the "Running Total" & "Ordinal Rank" Problems in SS 2k/2k5 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:15 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:37 PM
Very interesting article.

I want to add my voice to those urging caution with regard to relying on order being forced by a clustered index. According to the SQL standard, the only way to enforce order is with ORDER BY.

The problem with relying on a clustered index is that it isn't supported: no matter how many times you have tested it, it is not guaranteed to work, and data corruption introduced by a few pages not being in the order in which you expect them is likely to be both subtle and really difficult to fix. I can only imagine trying to diagnose the problem... it makes me queasy just thinking about it.

I will consider using the ORDER BY method, which seems to me to be innovative and safe code.

Post #449893
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:31 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:09 AM
Phil, Chris,

Indeed no discussion regarding the use of target variables.

The point is, will its content be correct during the setbased work
if the variable is used more then once in the statement.

Suppose you have more than one price ....
(cfr result data for select from views containing an order by ( before the 'fix' and trace) )

For now it seems to work with correct results, but ... you have to
figure out how to force the process order.
I'm glad Jeff cleared it out in this article

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #449899
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:32 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, January 27, 2014 10:14 AM
Did you test using the Clustered Index with the ORDER BY subquery? It seems to me that the ORDER BY Would enforce the order, but since you are using a Clustered Index it wouldn't cause much overhead unless you were going to get bit by a disordered resultset anyway.
--
JimFive
Post #449900
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:33 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:35 AM
Since you installed SQL 2K5, have you looked into the "OVER" clause (BOL reference: ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/tsqlref9/html/ddcef3a6-0341-43e0-ae73-630484b7b398.htm) and the Ranking Functions (BOL reference: ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/tsqlref9/html/e7f917ba-bf4a-4fe0-b342-a91bcf88a71b.htm)?

I am curious how they perform against your test. I have used the Ranking Functions, but only on result sets of a few thousand rows and it has performed well for me.

Darrin
Post #449939
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:03 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:18 PM
good one - no doubt about it. I hadn't yet seen the merry-go-round in action, but it does make sense now.

From what I've seem, the OVER syntax, and the ranking functions give you no advantage whatsoever on anything except for counts in this particular case. It's in my mind one of the failings/shortcoming of that syntax, since with all it does, you STILL have to do triangle joins or this kind of technique to get any kind of running aggregate other than a count (which you get implicitly through the ROW_NUMBER() function). I am pretty sure that's part of the OVER syntax from Ansi that didn't make the 2005 implementation (as I recall, that OTHER database product does running aggregates using its OVER syntax)..

And - just like you'd expect - using a CTE to try to force the order does nothing for you. It operates the same as a view does (inner ORDER BY is ignored).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #449962
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:15 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 6:49 AM
Jeff,
Thanks for the great examples on generating running totals. Question: You mentioned that you have to include the "anchor" (or dummy) in the update statement in order for it to work correctly, but you didn't explain why. I can see its use in the group total, group rank, but could you explain why it is needed in the update statement for the overall running total? (aside from "just because it doesn't work without it")
Post #449972
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:30 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 4:35 PM
Jeff, thanks for this article I learn something new.
I was relying on Reporting Service reports, cubes and MDX to do the running total for me. This article shows me a way to do it in classic reports.
I wonder if the same type of technique could be used as a general way to get a rid of all cursors and while loops. I stay away from but sometimes have no alternative.
I have a specific problem now. I must create a table to report on contract compliance. I can have multiple contracts for the same customer with or without the same products in them. I can have different dates of start and finish. Dates can overlap. The revenue table does not have any contract info.
To merge contract info with revenue data, I must use while loops and for each row, I put the contract num, the customer, the product, the start and finish date into variables, then in a while loop I add row by row the combined data in the result table by merging the Contract num with the matching data found in the revenue table.
When done one can look at performance on a contract by contract basis. The sum of all contracts for a given customer product and period could double count revenue. This is understood and acceptable.
I have 11 different type of contracts, the level of grouping changes and the nature of the revenue changes as well, can be direct, indirect and has to look at both revenue and orders. Takes 5 hours to run on a 64 bits machine, once a week on Saturday.
These tables have million of rows, it is working but if it could work in a fraction of the time it would be better.

BI Guy
Post #450031
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:54 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:05 AM
Very nice, and thanks for the link.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #450049
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:57 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:18 PM
Philippe -

While I would recommend you start a separate thread on the specifics of your process, I would imagine that this technique might be useable in your scenario. Hard to tell for sure, but it's certainly one way to step away from some loops and cursors (although to be fair - the MS gear-heads that blog on this call this technique the "inner loop" process, since you're flying through each row in sequence, albeit VERY quickly).

Jeff is probably going to give me the evil eye on that one....:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #450050
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:01 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:08 PM
Unfortunately SQL 2k5's over clause is missing that little bit of magic present in the SQL standard and other SQL products. The full functionality is also not present in 2008 but perhaps the next version (2010/2011?) might have it.
See http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/ArticleID/95007/95007.html?Ad=1. In the article you can vote to have the extra features added and there's a link to a well written MS Word document in the article. In fact it serves as a great introduction by itself to the OVER clause and what's possible both now and, hopefully, in the future. Direct link: http://www.insidetsql.com/OVER_Clause_and_Ordered_Calculations.doc
:D
Courtesy goes to Itzik Ben-Gan and Sujata Mehta for the article/paper - I'm just linking to it.

Post #450055
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse