Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Reporting on Activity across Multiple Servers using SQL Backup and SQL Multi Script Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, February 25, 2002 12:00 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Reporting on Activity across Multiple Servers using SQL Backup and SQL Multi Script

Post #445732
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:10 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:26 AM
Interesting article

I have RedGate Toolbelt, but sucks that SQL Backup is PER SERVER license so I don't have it installed on any server instance yet to try this technique

SQLServerNewbie

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
Post #445978
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:41 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:27 PM
This series is great, but isn't the phrase "months of laborious work" indicative of the notion it might be more effective to buy a monitoring tool than to write one? It might be possible to get a lot more functionality while spending your time on work directly benefiting whatever your core business is.
Post #446030
Posted Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:54 PM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 1:11 PM
Merrill,
Yes, monitoring software like Idera DM and Quest Spotlight does work. I use them all day long. It is the best black-box recorder you can have when CIO wants to know why database had a problem last week (month) and evidence report.

However I wrote a lot of stuff myself, because A) the tool may not provide or provided a different view. Imagine how many performance counters you can have recorded and shown. The tool may not have all. Any DBA manual tasks, I wrote them into automated scripts. When I come to work, I only need to glance review everything. B) I wrote index defrag which savs my company $1200 per instance per year. That is $80,000 saving. I wrote database refresh script so I can plug in parameters and run a refresh at a few clicks. There are things money cannot buy.

When I have some doubts about my databases, I pull out some scripts from my repository (most of them in SP form), a few clicks I have complete info about my databases' current status.

Jason
http://usa.redirectme.net

Jason
http://dbace.us
Post #1207212
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:04 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, May 2, 2014 12:45 AM
Thanks for this information.

I have a few questions:

1) How do you know the size should only be divided by 1,000,000 and not 1,048,576?
2) Is speed MB/s ?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Tom

Post #1467789
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse