Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Negative Run Duration Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:13 AM
the t-log job normally takes about 3:16 to run so it is not that long.

The other job normally takes about 1 minute, but on the time it failed, a second report line reported it having a 0 duration.
Post #429302
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:58 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Another interesting note: the other node in the cluster is about 5 minutes slower than the node with issues. In fact the node with issues is 5 minutes fast.
Post #429319
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:06 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:45 AM
Brian, sorry, nothing is jumpimg out at me. As I say I have only seen this when the job ran at the same time as the clocks going back and if memory serves me on very long running jobs which were eventually cancelled or failed.

Interesting the nodes are out, got to be worth getting them in synch. Not sure quite how this would affect it because I would have thought the job would fail if there was a failover whilst the job was running.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #429328
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
I'm with George. Nothing jumps out. The clocks shouldn't cause this, though you probably want them to get in synch. Could possibly be something there, but I'd think the job would be dependent only on the active node.

If you've got a case to open with MS, this would be interesting to track down, though probably not terribly useful as anything other than trivia.

One last thing, are the jobs running ok, meaning getting the work done? If so, I'd wait for the next reboot, hope it goes away.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #429343
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:54 AM
SSC Veteran

Steve Jones - Editor (12/4/2007)
I'm with George. Nothing jumps out. The clocks shouldn't cause this, though you probably want them to get in synch. Could possibly be something there, but I'd think the job would be dependent only on the active node.

If you've got a case to open with MS, this would be interesting to track down, though probably not terribly useful as anything other than trivia.

One last thing, are the jobs running ok, meaning getting the work done? If so, I'd wait for the next reboot, hope it goes away.

I am not going to open a case with MS. The jobs appear to complete correctly. I will work to get the nodes synched.

Ironically enough, I first noticed the issue after I inadvertently rebooted the node. Oh well we will see.

thanks for your thoughts.
Post #429366
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:14 AM
SSC Veteran

Well we do have automatic time synching as my problematic node just synched time, so my guess is time has been changing and leading to end times before start times.

Annoying. Of course the real question is how does time synch become so bad?
Post #429395
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:19 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

sounds like a good guess, certainly would fit the scenario.

clocks getting out of synch? over to an intel bod.....

Post #429400
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:08 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
Clocks get out of synch because the crystal drifts. The internal physical hardware just isn't precise.

That's why you want a "time server" that you sycnh all servers to. They'll correct their individual drifts every hour, day, whatever. You can synch your time server to the US atomic clocks for official time, but more you want all your internal servers to synch.

Alternatively, I used to set an Outlook reminder 2x a month to just manually check a few servers that I knew drifted a lot, and resynch them.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #429424
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:13 AM
SSC Veteran

Steve, thanks for the info it is nice to actually know that.

Ironically we do have two time sources to synch from, and they do (hence the problem), and they are supposed to do it regularly like every 15 minutes, so I wonder how they get to 5 minutes out. I hear network issues can cause problems, etc. Five minutes just boggles my mind.

Oh well.

Thanks again for the info and the help.
Post #429426
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:58 AM
SSCertifiable

Steve Jones - Editor (12/4/2007)
Clocks get out of synch because the crystal drifts. The internal physical hardware just isn't precise.

crystal drifts? is that like crystal meths?

Post #429699
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse