Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

The DBA Routine Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:40 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 1:53 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The DBA Routine

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #427246
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, February 24, 2014 2:32 AM
Useful seeing it listed out like that.

#10 - Whack a Mole. I Like to do something similar but add to the equation total time of queries. Saving 2 seconds off a 3 second query that runs a thousand times a day is better than 10 seconds off a 15 second query that runs only two or three times a day.
Post #427260
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:07 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 1:53 PM
I agree with that, but wanted to keep it simple. In my view its more important to adopt the philosophy of spending some time on performance each week than to use a specific implementation. I suspect that using your system or mine in a year we'd have systems that ran substantially smoother!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #427390
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:24 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:15 PM
Andy,
What a great post! It pretty much outlines how I spend my day when working as a DBA....

Mark
Post #427402
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:27 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:11 PM
My first time posting but I really loved the article.
Post #427404
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:29 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 6:12 AM
Good article and it definitely provides a way to find out if you are doing what needs to be done.

As far as #10, how do you deal with a situation where the application is a 3rd party app and you can't make performance improvements?

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #427408
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

As far as #10, how do you deal with a situation where the application is a 3rd party app and you can't make performance improvements?

You have evidence to give to the developers. Any decent developer would be quite happy to have that level of information returned and file it under "Constructive criticism".
Post #427432
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:07 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:20 AM
I agree that this is a great article. However, I'd like a little help. About a year ago, my school district told me congratulations, your the new SQL guy. So I delved deeply into Sql Development and am ok, not great at that. As I've read postings on this site, I've realized there's a whole world on the DBA side I've been neglecting. This brings me to my help request.

I need a little more on the "how" of this article. For instance, #10, I looked into the profiler and found trace templates, but I'm not sure which ones contain the data points discussed. Similarly, # 6. Is there a good beginning DB tuning/monitoring site or book that somebody could recommend that would help me get started? Regrettably, at this stage I need some "Click File>Open>Trace...." level help.

Thanks
Rick
Post #427433
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:09 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:23 PM
Good post, especially for me - I'm the backup of the DBA when he is not around, really a developer that happens to know enough to be a shoe in to the DBA once in a full moon.

It would be helpful to me to see some sources of "all the published 'best practices' we hear so much about". Would you care to recommend books, articles or even training that will focus on those?

Thanks!
Post #427434
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:30 AM
Forum Newbie

I need a little more on the "how" of this article. For instance, #10, I looked into the profiler and found trace templates, but I'm not sure which ones contain the data points discussed.

Try http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/per/performance_audit_part8_p1.aspx as a start or there is probably a few articles here.
Post #427454
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse