Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1516171819»»»

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:26 PM
OK i now see that SQLFiddle is for MySQL, not SQL Server;

i guess it is some kind of front end tester, where you can build a temporary schema in the left panel, and test queries on the right.

not useful to me, but maybe to others.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1435978
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:23 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 1:33 PM
Lowell (3/27/2013)

i guess it is some kind of front end tester, where you can build a temporary schema in the left panel, and test queries on the right.

Lowell I did find a language dropdown in the upper left. Once doing that it parsed sql correctly. But I still don't understand what the point is.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1435983
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:43 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:11 AM
Sean Lange (3/27/2013)
Lowell (3/27/2013)

Lowell I did find a language dropdown in the upper left. Once doing that it parsed sql correctly. But I still don't understand what the point is.

I recently started answering some questions on stackoverflow and from what I've seen there it's fairly handy. It allows someone to set up a structure, with data, and some test code. That way you can ask your question and direct people over to sqlfiddle to see the code/example.

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Post #1435994
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:54 AM

SSChampion

Kenneth.Fisher (3/27/2013)
Sean Lange (3/27/2013)
Lowell (3/27/2013)

I recently started answering some questions on stackoverflow and from what I've seen there it's fairly handy. It allows someone to set up a structure, with data, and some test code. That way you can ask your question and direct people over to sqlfiddle to see the code/example.

Like I said it seems like it might be pretty cool but it is for some reason not intuitive to me how to use it and I don't see a tutorial or anything anywhere. These kinds of utilities are often pretty awesome once you understand how to use it but trying to figure it out on your own is sometime more effort than it is worth.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Post #1436005
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:11 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:00 AM
I guess my take on such a thing as SQLFiddle is if we can't even get someone to cut and paste a CREATE TABLE statement, what makes us think they'll use the likes of SQLFiddle? Yeap... WE could use it to help us create an answer but, frequently, a question is so poorly worded that without a CREATE TABLE statement from the OP, it's sometimes impossible to figure out what the question actually is.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1436122
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:03 PM
UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 10:53 AM
Seems like this article is like old news, not only do I see this mentioned quite often in forums when I have time to check questions, but now its yet again a featured article. I believe this is kinda common sense, no wonder I don't spend much time on this site...
Post #1436150
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:08 PM

SSChampion

churlbut (3/27/2013)
Seems like this article is like old news, not only do I see this mentioned quite often in forums when I have time to check questions, but now its yet again a featured article. I believe this is kinda common sense, no wonder I don't spend much time on this site...

Perhaps if you actually spent time around the forums you would see that most people don't bother to post enough information to get their questions answered. It gets mentioned time and time again because people don't post this type of stuff.

Post #1436153
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:17 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:11 AM
Sean Lange (3/27/2013)
churlbut (3/27/2013)

Perhaps if you actually spent time around the forums you would see that most people don't bother to post enough information to get their questions answered. It gets mentioned time and time again because people don't post this type of stuff.

Honestly someone could put together a Pass Summit presentation "How to ask questions on a forum." and it would get a fair amount of attendance. Unfortunately the people that attended would be the ones who already ask useful questions.

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Post #1436155
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:49 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:07 PM
churlbut (3/27/2013)

Would you rather we pull answers out of our **** instead? Many times we are asked questions with so little to work with yet people get offended when we ask for clarification. Sorry if we, the volunteers willing to try to help, can't answer every question based solely on poorly asked questions.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1436168
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:49 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:00 AM
churlbut (3/27/2013)

BWAAAA-HAAA!!!! If you read the headline, it clearly states "(first published: 2007/11/27)" so as of right now, it's 5 years and 5 months old which means that you've actually made a gross understatement about it being "old news". I absolutely agree with your statement that is should be common sense, yet, people still don't get it right. Apparently, common sense isn't so common.

I don't see what SQLServerCentral.com's decision to republish this article for the benefit of those that don't know how to post a question correctly has to do with the amount of time you've spent here but, since you brought it up, which site do you spend your time at and what's your handle there? I'd love to see where you spend your time.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1436251
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1516171819»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse