Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1213141516»»»

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 01, 2009 12:09 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 24, 2009 3:36 AM
you took a lot of pain to explain things... i might take a week to go thr' all your posts...
Post #628468
Posted Thursday, January 01, 2009 12:34 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:00 PM
Thanks, eramya... but with about 13,000 posts total, I'm thinking it may take more than a week. :P

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #628486
Posted Friday, January 02, 2009 7:01 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, July 24, 2009 3:36 AM
well, then its time for me to make better use of my week ends:)
Post #628780
Posted Monday, February 09, 2009 9:09 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:38 PM
Thanks, Jeff,

This is good advice for any type of forum post for help. But especially useful for SQL.

- webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #652906
Posted Monday, February 09, 2009 9:37 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

webrunner (2/9/2009)
Thanks, Jeff,

This is good advice for any type of forum post for help. But especially useful for SQL.

- webrunner

Thanks, WebRunner... I appreciate the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #652944
Posted Monday, February 09, 2009 9:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:02 AM
Great post! I'm so tired of looking at code that makes my eyes bleed. Jeff is spot on with the view that if you don't care about your code, no one else will; besides, it takes so little effort to make your code readable. This advice is equally applicable across all languages and environments.
Post #652966
Posted Monday, February 09, 2009 10:43 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Thanks, Osskey... I appreciate the feedback.

This doesn't apply just to forums when it comes to readability and self or embedded documentation. I started a consulting job about 7 months ago and even the people who've been hear longer than me can figure out what's going on in some of the code. When it comes to embedded comments, the code is a virtual desert. When it comes to readability, whenever you need to work on a piece of that legacy code, you actually have to reformat it to read it. Absolutely no standards were invoked never mind followed. It's really a mess.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #653029
Posted Monday, February 09, 2009 11:24 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:26 PM
Great article. The best thing about the suggested approach is that if the poster takes the time to define the problem and consider the test data and the desired output, chances are the solution will present itself.

If it doesn't, I may have to post my question after all. :D

And, incidentally, thank you for the trick with QUOTENAME! I live, I learn.
Post #653064
Posted Monday, February 09, 2009 11:36 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:07 AM
Olga B (2/9/2009)
Great article. The best thing about the suggested approach is that if the poster takes the time to define the problem and consider the test data and the desired output, chances are the solution will present itself.

There actually has been a few documented cases of just that happening, but that isn't the norm.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #653072
Posted Monday, February 09, 2009 12:03 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:26 PM
Lynn Pettis (2/9/2009)
Olga B (2/9/2009)

There actually has been a few documented cases of just that happening, but that isn't the norm.

I suspect it's because thinking through the problem is not the norm. ;)

When answering support questions my policy is to wait about 20 minutes for all non-work-stopping requests. It's amazing how many times I get a "Never mind, I figured it out" message 18 minutes later.
Post #653095
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1213141516»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse