Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Changing Career Gears Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 4, 2009 6:59 AM
Brandie,

Thanks for the encouraging article. I'm right at the beginning of the same process you went through. It's good to read about a success story.

James
Post #425855
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007 11:14 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:15 PM
I would agree with Brandie in that's it's experience you'll want after getting a cert. Volunteer to get that experience under the belt even if it's not strictly database work.
My career path evolved into a dba from a security guard through volunteering to work in an old dBase database for the small firm, then once I could say I had some pc experience on my resume, into several help desk and system administration jobs for progressively bigger and bigger firms, including a software company we all know. And while I didn't move directly into a dba role in my current firm until after I was hired as a system administrator, I volunteered for the opportunity to be a dba when it became available and had the experience on my resume to back it up.
Post #425915
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007 11:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, December 21, 2007 6:03 AM
:)

Thanks for this article!

I have been working for the same company for almost 20 years, worked up from the bottom. Since the original owners retired and sold the company 2 years ago, life has been miserable. The new owners took us to Chap. 11 reorganization and we just recently were bought out by another company. After several years devoted to caring for my late husband and raising children I decided it was time to change the situation. After considerable thought I decided to get my MCDBA, getting ready to take vendor exam 70-229 tomorrow. Many of my jobs within the company have centered around creating reports for management using ODBC and that is what lead me toward the MCDBA.

Your article is just what I have been looking for. I wanted some info on how to break into IT when you technically do not have any true background in the field.

The information about volunteering is excellent and I know of several possibilities to explore.

Again just wanted to say THANKS, your article will be most useful.

PS. Anyone out there in the Kansas City area, I am looking for work in the field. My work history and references are excellent.

lblsi@yahoo.com
Post #425939
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007 10:18 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:32 PM
Nice work to do. I am also passing from the same =situation but I am still waiting for a good friend to help me out how to get success in MCDAB. Although I have experience of 05 years working with MS SQL Server 2000, VB 6.0 and Crystal Reports but cant decide where to go?
Post #426152
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:11 AM
All, I'm glad my article is generating such positive responses. For those currently going a similar Non-IT to DBA route, I hope my experiences help you along the way.

Nadeem7971, I'm not sure what you mean by the following:

but I am still waiting for a good friend to help me out how to get success in MCDAB.

What are you needing from your friend in regards to the MCDBA?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #426262
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:15 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, April 4, 2014 4:40 PM
I can't agree more with your stress on volunteering and on being willing to work your way up from the bottom. Having worked in tech support, I also agree with your emphasis on soft skills. There are few jobs that you can do completely alone, and if you have to work on a team, you need to be able to work with them.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
Post #426576
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:24 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
Nicely done, Brandie. Great success story and a great motivational story. I'll throw in that whether you have the schooling or not, you can get there if you want it bad enough. The schooling will certainly help, but the volunteer work you did just to earn some stripes in the trade was a brilliant move on your part. Your eager-to-help/make-a-difference attitude sure paid off in spades! Well done!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #426720
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:30 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:30 PM
but I am still waiting for a good friend to help me out

Ummm.... I wouldn't wait... take the bull by the horns and get to where you want to be...

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #426722
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:45 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:19 AM
Nice article. I have a few friends who are interested in IT and would like to try and get into it. I'll pass this article on.

As for the MCDBA - I should really do that after being a DBA for 8 years!!
Post #426894
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:55 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:11 AM
If you've been a DBA for 8 years already, go for the MCITP instead (SQL 2005 -and possibly 2008- certs). It'll look much better on your job history. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #426902
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse