Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

The Personal Checksum Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 01, 2007 6:24 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Personal Checksum

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #417708
Posted Friday, November 02, 2007 7:54 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 9:42 AM
It's been suggested that one can give a bogus middle initial as a way of tracking whether or not someone keeps your information private or sells it. So one might give their name as Steve S Jones to SQL Server Central (with S being a simple reminder it was given to SQL Server Central). Then if you are contact by someone else as Steve S Jones, you have strong reason to suspect that your information was shared/sold.
Post #417923
Posted Friday, November 02, 2007 8:10 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:53 AM
Ok, I've got a minor in math and I don't understand what the significance of the graphic is. A, B and C have no real reference to each other.

If I change the subtotal to 42.32, add 10% (dropping the cents) 4.20 you get 46.52. 4 + 6 = 2? No.

What am I missing here?

Live to Throw
Throw to Live
Will Summers
Post #417931
Posted Friday, November 02, 2007 8:14 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Will,

The idea is that you decide on the tip dollar amount. So you decide that with bad service, you're leaving $4 on $47. So you write the $51 (47 + 4). Then you add those up(51 being 5 + 1) to get 6. You write in 6 for the end cents amount and then do the math to figure out the proper cents amount for the tip.

The middle name thing is interesting, though I'm not sure how well that would work. Data quality seems to be suspect and I've gotten quite a few middle initials come through with my name over the years.

Post #417938
Posted Friday, November 02, 2007 8:24 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Wow, that's way way too much energy to put in to calculate a tip for bad service. I would just do something like not leave a tip and write in BAD SERVICE in the tip line.

I will tip 20%+ if I have no complaints about the service. If I have to wait more than a couple of minutes for the server to recognize that my drink is empty, then that 20% drops pretty quickly.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live
Will Summers
Post #417948
Posted Friday, November 02, 2007 8:27 AM

SSC-Dedicated

It is a little confusing. I tried it the other day and confused myself.

Keep in mind that I've seen some people change good tips (rarely) when it seems to work out. Adding a few dollars might happen on top of your 20%.

Not really my style either, but I thought it was an intersting use of data checksums. I think if you tried it 5 times, it would come pretty naturally.

Post #417950
Posted Friday, November 02, 2007 8:36 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:06 AM
A co worker was called by a restaurant because he had accidently put $50 in the tip spot. They suspected this was an error.

When I get really good service, I tip CASH even if I charge the meal. I let them decide how to handle it.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #417958
Posted Friday, November 02, 2007 8:50 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:26 AM
What we need are checksums on personal identification numbers, such as SSNs and driver's licenses (which may already have them). I understand the Canadian equivalent of SSN is already checksummed. That might have helped against the identity theft problems that are plaguing us.

At least our credit card numbers are checksummed, for what little good that does us. I'd like to see ecommerce PIN all credit card transactions in addition to the CVN, I think that would really cut down on online fraud and eliminate most of the bottom feeder/script kiddie fraudsters.

As far as the middle initial thing is concerned, an easier method is to do variations on your address. If you live in apartment 123, when you subscribe to Byte, make your apartment number 123B. Or add suites if you're a plain old street address. That will tell you exactly who is selling your info.

Another thing that I do is if some form requires my phone number, I give them 575-555-5555. Seems to work every time.
Post #417973
Posted Friday, November 02, 2007 8:53 AM

Say Hey Kid

The purpose of the article wasn't to decide on tip amounts, but to give you a checksum for the credit card statement. On all restaurant charges on the bill the sum of the first two digits should equal the last digit. This would be a good way to test for theft.

It helps when you actually read the article fully before posting a question about it. ha ha. My bad.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live
Will Summers
Post #417975
Posted Friday, November 02, 2007 8:57 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 10:01 AM
The webpage mentioned in the article contained a link to "Surf hundreds of visa numbers". Kinda ironic, huh? Weren't we trying to detect fraud here?

Post #417981
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse