Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

sql server replicatoin requires actual server name to make a connection to the server Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:23 AM
Cause:

This error has been observed on a server that had been renamed after the original installation of SQL Server, and where the SQL Server configuration function ‘@@SERVERNAME’ still returned the original name of the server. This can be confirmed by:

select @@SERVERNAME
go

This should return the name of the server. If it does not then follow the procedure below to correct it.

Remedy:

To resolve the problem the server name needs to be updated. Use the following:

sp_addserver 'real-server-name', LOCAL

if this gives an error complaining that the name already exists then use the following sequence:

sp_dropserver 'real-server-name'
go
sp_addserver 'real-server-name', LOCAL
go

If instead the error reported is 'There is already a local server.' then use the following sequence:

sp_dropserver old-server-name
go
sp_addserver real-server-name, LOCAL
go

Where the "old-server-name" is the name contained in the body of the original error.

Stop and restart SQL Server.
Post #960526
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:45 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 23, 2013 8:19 PM
Hi,
I have a sql serve 2008 running on my cloud server. I have configured a publisher in the server. Now I want to create a subscription in my local SQL 2008 server but I am getting this message

'sql server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server'

Can anyone help me in this matter?

Khuzaima
Post #1388439
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse