Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Why SQL Server is Better Than Oracle Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:14 AM
Oracle *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
Post #406778
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2007 8:48 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:59 PM
Carl Federl (10/4/2007)
Q: How many Oracle DBAs does it take to change a light bulb ?
A: Three - it takes three Oracle DBAs to do anything.

Q: How many SQL Server DBAs does it take to change a light bulb ?
A: None - SQL Server automatically changes light bulbs.

Would you mind notchanging the light bulbs while I'm trying to read?!

There is no truth to the following rumors:
MySQL is proposing changing WHERE to WHEN to emphasise the "real time" nature of the Falcon engine.
Oracle touts it complexity as a new "security" feature.
DB2 introduces ROLL OVER for transactions to make the succeed even if there are conflicts.
SQL Server introduces SORT OF and KIND OF as extentsions of LIKE to make things more warm and fuzzy.

No truth, I tell you. NO TRUTH!!

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #406838
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2007 8:59 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:01 AM
When my son got married I went out for drinks with a bunch of his friends.

You haven't lived till you get roasted by a bunch half drunk Oracle guys.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #406852
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2007 9:09 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 9:39 AM
You comments about being less formal with the people you like, reminded me of a passage from "The Gulag Archipelago" by Solzhenitsyn. In it he stresses that "your friends will argue with you". If he told someone that he was going to do something stupid, like talk back to the guards, his friends were the ones trying to talk him out of it. The guy who was encouraging him, saying "Yea, tell them what you think" might appear to be supportive, but in reality they were definitely NOT his friend.

I've been know to play "devil's advocate" with system designs and some people accuse me of arguing too much. I just tell them about Solzhenitsyn and let them know that I'm "very friendly" Nothing solidifies a design like having to defend it against alternatives.

Post #406870
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2007 9:25 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:03 AM
Let's get down to it gentleman, I think Oracle sucks but I have learned to like it - sort of. It is more like a living arrangement.

In my experience Oracle DBAs make more $mula$. The entry level for Oracle is higher. I am not sure if Oracle did that on purpose.

Ah, you have not lived until you set up Oracle Management Server - something that is basically out of the box in MS SQL.

At the same time, there are things that are in Oracle that I wish MS SQL had and vice versa.

{Francisco}
Post #406889
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2007 9:28 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:53 PM
"SQL Server is better than Oracle"

"Why?"

"Because"

"Why Because?"

"Because it just is"

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #406893
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2007 9:39 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:25 PM
Carl Federl (10/4/2007)
Q: How many Oracle DBAs does it take to change a light bulb ?

A: Three - it takes three Oracle DBAs to do anything.

Q: How many SQL Server DBAs does it take to change a light bulb ?

A: None - SQL Server automatically changes light bulbs.

The new Oracle light bulbs are $100,000 each plus $1,000 for every one who sees the light, and old light bulbs aren't licensed to work with the latest version. If you have 220 volts, instead of 110, it's another $100,000.

Post #406908
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2007 11:00 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:55 AM
Oracle's boss is Larry Ellision, he did anything to try to be number one. Oracle is behind Microsoft right now. After he took over Peoplesoft, he just bought Hyperion. In an article I read a while ago in Time or Newsweek magazine, he was arrogant, competitive and rude.
I worked with Oracle consultants a lot, when you bought Oracle, you needed to hire Oracle consultant, the damn thing was so complicated that no one knew what to do when they got it from the box. Most of the independent consultants were very nice. But the one who worked at Oracle somehow got Larry's influence - arrogant and rude. Even the Oracle DBAs attitude were different from SQL Server DBAs. They felt they were more superior. Maybe just the Oracle DBAs I met !!!!

As far as programming, Oracle SQL is the same as SQL Server SQL - FALSE. PL/SQL = T-SQL - FALSE.
Just don't tell the recruiters.
Post #406962
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2007 12:11 PM
Hall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:12 AM
Oracle secret weapon is VP Jim Melton who is ANSI SQL editor who edited the XML section in ANSI SQL 2006. That got me very worried because for political reasons Microsoft could just wait until the XML people finish the needed Algebra before implementing real XQuery which could be too late for SQL Server 2008. So for XML data intensive Web application you may still need to reach out and touch Data Direct who owns the XQuery url and sells an almost idiot proof albeit expensive tool.

Oracle does not sell developer edition of its RDBMS so for now it is like C.J.Date said do data as algebra and ask how is this implemented by Oracle.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #407006
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2007 12:17 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:59 AM
I like both but I do have to say that with enterprise class systems (8CPUs +) the scalability of SQL Server could become a problem. I would love to hear the experiences of others who have seen workloads from 40,000+ concurrent users.

From what I’ve seen with these larger systems you have to buy one big supercomputer and make sure to have extra slots for CPUs, memory, and additional fiber cards for scalability. With Oracle you just go the two midrange node RAC route and add one additional machine if you need to scale further.
Post #407009
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse