Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Cloud Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:37 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:26 AM
We considered one, but we're not sure if the poodle would be too happy with one.
Post #398621
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:37 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
Spring thaw? Won't the battery be dead by then? Send them a note for a diesel version!

I had a server, but it was slightly flaky, so it's down now. Right now I have a MyBook WD external hooked to my PC with a scheduled backup job. Not grabbing generations, but it's getting everything every night just in case. It's also shared for my wife to use.

We tend to copy stuff to the iMac as needed (pix, etc.), so it's a backup as is.

I'm tempted to use a cloud service as a backup just to see how it works. Or maybe a backup's backup. I do use Box.net to move files around the Internet. It's my new FTP!

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #398622
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:46 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

I'll have to take a look at box.net, but I have a personal paranoia about people offering 'free' storage. I've used it for small stuff in the past, but they usually don't offer enough storage to be useful to me.

I had to send an Access MDB to a vendor a couple of months ago and couldn't get either Outlook/Exchange or Yahoo to cooperate! (both the extension and file size, even after compression, were working against me) Finally ended up FTPing it to my personal web site into a passworded area to get it to the guy. I've been re-reading our computer policy document and it looks like I should have PGP'd it first, so I should download the program. Funny thing was that the vendor's FTP server had just died the previous day.
Post #398627
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:54 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:58 PM

I don't need any more diesel products in my life. Already have two generators down (35kw and 100kw) for repairs.

And speaking of backups, one of my three SCSI tape drives is giving up the ghost today so I need to fix that.

I won't be using a cloud service to replace it either. I'm thinking of adding a drive someplace else and redirecting the backup there until I can schedule some down time for the server.

And Wayne, get the roomba maximum model.

Small poodles will fit inside nicely

Post #398630
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:58 AM
SSC Eights!

Ah, but we have a 50lb standard poodle, we'd need the Optimus Prime model!
Post #398633
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:28 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
Got you beat!
We have a real man's dog: http://www.dkranch.net/images/dogs/200701_dogs.jpg

Box.net is good for transfers. That's what I use it for. Upload something, pull it down from elsewhere and then delete it from the cloud. Figure it saves box.net the trouble of deleting it when their SAN goes down

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #398725
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse