Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Experiences from a Real World Project Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:11 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:52 AM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/jthomson/3219.asp

Jamie Thomson
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson
Post #396180
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:20 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 8, 2007 6:28 AM
Good article. As someone who's worked with SSIS for about a year, a lot of your recommendations rang true.

I'm not sure I concur with the one-configuration-setting-per-configuration-file suggestion however. If you have more than 10 settings...that could make for more headaches that it's worth. Add different configuration locations (database, XML, registry, etc) and that would just compound the problem. Bundling them into groups, by their functionality, would be a better approach IMO.

What's missing in the SSIS-discussion-space is a good article on utilizing the event handlers. To be honest, I've ignored them but would like to see how they could effectively be used.
Post #400735
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:34 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, January 14, 2013 4:24 AM

Thank you for sharing your real project experiences with us Jamie. 
They are especially valuable as you are one of the most expert person in SSIS.
Vincent

Post #400736
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:08 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:40 PM

Good article.  I use most of your suggestions already.  However, I use the SSIS log provider for Text files and just let each package execution append to the end of the log.  I have the package begin and end logged as a way of determining where each execution began.  I use Excel to read the log files; since the last execution of the package is at the end of the file, once the log is open I just scroll down to the bottom.  It takes a couple of extra seconds, but with all the history there in one place I can easily look for trends.

Post #400857
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:14 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:52 AM

Thanks all for the comments thus far. Certainly nothing there that I can (or would) disagree with.

Dave, I have an article here that discusses one possible use of event handlers: http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2005/06/11/SSIS_3A00_-Custom-Logging-Using-Event-Handlers.aspx in case you're interested.

-Jamie

Jamie Thomson
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson
Post #400904
Posted Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:47 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:39 PM
Great article. Thanks for sharing the remedies to all your pain.

For storing expressions in variables, what about expressions that should evaluate to boolean. For example '@Var1 == @Var2' . I can store that expression in a variable of type String but the Expression Builder can't convert the string into value of type boolean. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Post #412403
Posted Friday, June 12, 2009 12:42 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, May 31, 2013 4:24 AM
Very much useful article. Thanks

Thanks,
Ashesh

Post #733543
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse