Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Passing a Table to a Stored Procedure Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:39 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:57 PM
Heh... more spam... at least the table example works, Rog... Saw the free code you guys posted for RAC and apparently a lot of the stuff doesn't work correctly...

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #398498
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

The article was nice and simple... shows how to make and exec a proc that uses a table parameter.

What I'd like to know (and anyone can certainly answer) is why an app would need to pass an array (table) of parameters to begin with?  I'm not a GUI type of guy so I'd really like to know so I can support my Gui Developers better...

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #398500
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:02 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:02 PM

Jeff,

If your going to swiftboat me the least you should do is be specific.
What exactly are you referring to that doesn't work.?
Fish or cut bait.

Post #398722
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:12 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Heh... you're right... wrong article... it was about "RAAS", not "RAC"...

You'r still nothing more than a spammer...  I can't understand why you don't get your product evaluated on this site... what are you afraid of

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #398738
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:45 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, September 13, 2013 8:20 AM
In the delimited list scenario, it is probably still easiest to rip the list using a User-defined table-valued function.

Post #398926
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:31 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:22 AM

This is long overdue.  I've had this functionality in Oracle for the past ten years (since Oracle 8.0)!  When Microsoft introduced the table variable, they never finished the job.

I also noticed that the persistent table definition via the CREATE TYPE statement is the same as Oracle's.

I recently needed this functionality as I had a small 2-dimensional array (table variable, NOT a #temp table) that needed to be processed by other logic which would then return a table result.  This 2-dimensional array was used in several procedures.  In the interest of good OO programming, a UDF taking in a table-valued parameter and returning a table was the obvious choice.  Sadly, I couldn't do it in SQL Server 2005.  To use persistent (#) temp tables and/or transform it into XML and then shred it again inside the function was out of the question due to coding and performance overhead.

So I coded the logic in-line within the procedures (performance being the governing factor) with suitable coding comments to refactor the code when SQL Server 2008 is deployed (Q3/Q4 2008).

(PHB) I think we should build an SQL database. (Dilbert) What color do you want that database? (PHB) I think mauve has the most RAM.
Post #398938
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:28 PM

SSC-Dedicated

JohnG,

What was in the array?  Might help me understand why people would need to pass such a structure to a proc or function... thanks.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #399171
Posted Friday, September 14, 2007 6:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:49 AM
Can you give me an example of using this technique from code.  This is a great advantage in parameter use but I need to use it in Data Access Layer in C#, not really from SQL calling another SP.
Post #399288
Posted Friday, September 14, 2007 5:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

quoteThis is a great advantage in parameter use...

Why?  Why do you need to pass a table as a parameter???   Someone please give me an example of an array that would be passed from a GUI to a table in a proc!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #399494
Posted Friday, September 14, 2007 9:55 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:02 PM

Jeff,

Disclaimer - this post has *nothing* to do with RAC

It really is quite simple in the arena of application development.
The meaning of a procedure may be applicable to more than a single table. Because of the underlying nature of sql a procedure is usually associated with a particular table. If two tables are candidates for the same outcome (meaning) this usually results in two procedures that do the same thing for 2 different tables. Now you can only pass a table as a parameter to a procedure if the table is a 'variable'. But tables are *not* variables in sql, they are static structures, ie. values/literals/files. So it is necessary to resort to crude workarounds that simulate the idea of a table as a variable, ie. dynamic sql, xml or the Katami idea of a table 'parameter' which is more silliness. The following articles will, I hope, bring the big picture home (assuming they are actually read :
http://beyondsql.blogspot.com/2007/09/dataphor-all-tables-are-typed-variables.html
http://beyondsql.blogspot.com/2007/06/dataphor-13-passing-table-as-parameter.html
http://beyondsql.blogspot.com/2007/08/dataphor-creating-super-function.html

Just because someone is an expert sql programmer does not mean they understand (nor the implications) of the computer science
(types, variables, and values) of that which they are doing. And just
because the 'compute science' of sql is not discussed in Bol certainly
does not mean it doesn't exist. That is the genealogy of sql - a language described as a mile wide and its foundation left an inch deep -

S  - structured
P  - programming
A  - absent
M  - methods

Post #399513
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse