Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Writing SQL Faster Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 9, 2012 12:30 PM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/tFischer/3050.asp
Post #375432
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:47 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:49 AM
I hate the way articles on this site have started to become "adverts"

if it's a balanced article about the merits of refactoring and intellisense then mention the competition.

what could have been a good article just irritated the hell out of me - perhapsthere should be a seperate section for product reviews. then articles such as "writing sql faster" can be about reducing the amount of code you actually use, or using re-usable code. - articles about DR can be about best practices and unforseen circumstances rather than redgate sql backup.

maybe i just got out of bed on the wrong side this morning , but after i opened the link to what looked like a promising article and found a redgate advert i just started to go GRRRRRRRRR

MVDBA
Post #377268
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:17 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, March 1, 2013 10:41 AM
One reason never to use this product, just how is

SELECT
@error = @@ERROR
IF
0 = @error
AND
0 < @@trancount

COMMIT
ELSE

ROLLBACK
END

easier to read than

if 0 = @error AND 0 < @@trancount
Commit
else
Rollback
END

???

Also whats with the shocking tabbing?? For readability both examples aren't great, but the 'refactored' version is definitely worse!
Post #377283
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:46 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:20 PM
I don't know if it's true or not but I've read somewhere on Internet in some article that intellisense will be there in SQL 2008. Does anyone know if its true?
Post #377348
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:53 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 1:06 PM

I think maybe a better title would have helped, it really does feel like a review. Nothing wrong with a review and in the course of that I'd expect someone to show me how I'd benefit (or not) from buying the product. I would definitely like to see an article that looks at the state of Intellisense type implementations across vendors, including MS.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #377365
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:30 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:14 PM
Product literature belongs at www.red-gate.com. Not even a mention of other techniques, or products. Bush league guys.
Post #377388
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:39 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:45 PM

I participated in a technical SQL forum at Tech-ED in Orlando this year that focused on Intellisense that Microsoft is developing for SQL.  We saw the current stage of their development and strongly encouraged them to get what they currently have stabilized and to include it in the release of SQL 2008.

We provided feedback on the features we would like to see and how  it is to operate.  Primarily we said that it should operate much like the Intellisense does in Visual Studio. 

Post #377391
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:53 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:31 PM
Apologies if any of you felt decieved, but I mentioned this was a short tutorial on Red Gate's products in the description. It was definitely sent to me as a product review type piece and I ran it as such. We have run product reviews and "white papers" before, so I'm a little surprised by the comments.

The word at TechEd from the PM for tools is that Intellisense WILL be in SS2K8. I didn't see the current state and have no idea how it compares with SQLPrompt, but MS is apparently committed to getting it in SSMS.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #377401
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:18 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Monday, April 12, 2010 12:55 PM
Steve,
I think the # of "product reviews" has gone way up.
Also, in the past it was easier to recognize real articles of value from product hype.
Post #377415
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:31 PM
I have tried to run a few more reviews since the advertising has gone down to get exposure to products. This year we've run 11, 82 in 6 years, so slightly up to date. We've run one of OfficeWriter (included in SS2K8), SQLCentric, Typhoon III, NGSQuirrrel, APEX Log, Log Explorer, Refactor, MS's DPM, MS's Web Data Administrator, and now this one.

I'll try to make it clearer it's a review of a product rather than an article in the future. I know that some of you don't want to see reviews, but they do serve a purpose and when you need a product, it's nice that they're out there.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #377423
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse