Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

The Differences Between SQL Server 2000 and 2005 - Part 2 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:20 PM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/3036.asp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #369190
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:17 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 4:23 AM

The one difference I was hoping for was an auto-complete facility like you get in Visual Studio. In my opinion, it's so long overdue that people might forget about even doing it!

Otherwise, 2005's a good improvement over 2000 with all the features you mentioned, but with the brand new GUI it still feels like an incremental update and not a complete revolution that I was expecting. Though, I'll hold my final judgement until I get a chance to play with it properly.

Paul

Paul

Post #370183
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:25 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 6:03 AM

I think the addition of varchar(max) and the xml data types are pretty compelling. Not exciting stuff, but they can really clean up the way you solve problems.

I'll also suggest a different method. Try solving (or at least imagining) problems using the new features in SQL 2005, then go back to SQL 2000 and see what you miss having.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #370237
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:11 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, March 28, 2014 12:56 AM

Very nice article.   There was not much mentioned about Visual Studio 2005 and SQL 2005 integration.  From your experiences as a developer, aside from the new features, what can to do with the VS 2005 and SQL 2005 that you can't do with SQL 2000?

Thanks

Doug
Post #370250
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:46 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:15 AM

This set of articles was very informative in a concise manner.    

I would like to see an article on migration issues and things to consider.  We have been running SQL 2000 and I have been using the 2005 Management Studio alternately with the 2000 Enterprise Manager and doing my research into how best to proceed to a migration now that we have made the decision to do so.

There are always gotchas when migrating depending on setup and configuration.  I am going to be migrating SQL 2000 (running on Win 2003 servers) to SQL 2005.  I have done a great deal of research on it.  There are still some questions to hardware configuration for optimization of 2005 that I have found difficult to find any reference to. 

If you were of a mind to do so, I would personally appreciate some Dos and Don'ts for migrating.

Thank you..cherie

Post #370264
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:10 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:23 AM
Don't forget User-Defined Aggregate Functions! (CREATE AGGREGATE) I haven't tried them yet but they sure sound cool!

Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD
Business Intelligence Administrator
MSBI Administration Blog
Post #370315
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:14 PM

I'm a little confused about the excitement behind varchar(max). In the article it states, "TEXT is hard to work with in programming environments." Now maybe it's just the environment I've been programming in for the past several years (Visual Studio .NET, mostly C#), but I haven't found text (or ntext) to be hard at all. Through ADO.NET I can SELECT, INSERT, and UPDATE text/ntext columns just like any other column.

What am I missing?

Post #370374
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:24 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 8:03 PM
Craig, Try to manipulate a TEXT variable on the server ... you'll understand what "difficult to manipulate" means

* Noel
Post #370378
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:31 AM
SSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 8:03 PM
The things that have not been mentioned, are where 2005 is a REGRESSION from 2000 ...

To the shame of M$ there are *many*.
Here are some:

1.Replication Management: Replication monitor is way usless when compared to the 2000 interface (lots and lots of screens and can not even handle pull subscriptions entirely )

2. Debugging stored Procedures. From Query Analyzer we could do it in 2000. 2005 requires visual studio ... Hmmmm

3.Script Generation: Although on SP2 they fixed some issues there are *still* role membership problems ... In 2000 it worked "beautifully" since day one.

there are more but those are definitely at the top of my list

* Noel
Post #370382
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:55 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:20 PM
I'd love to do a "upgrade gotchas", but I haven't experienced enough. Maybe someone that's done a bunch or has a large environment can write me one!

The CREATE AGGREGATE seems more like a BI enhancement, but maybe I'm wrong. Haven't really thought of any I needed yet.

There's definitely some gotchas and a nice list above from Noel.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #370441
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse