Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Question of the Day for 05 Jun 2007 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the Question of the Day for 05 Jun 2007 posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/testcenter/qod.asp?QuestionID=1049.
Post #368120
Posted Tuesday, June 5, 2007 9:57 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:53 AM

Adam,

What a good question!

I got it right, but I wonder: the message is Level 16. BOL says in "Database Engine Error Severities" that the correct answer happens with severity 19 and higher. Does not mean that it could not happen with 16, but it would be nice if BOL explains possible outcomes of Levels 11 to 16.

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

Post #371347
Posted Tuesday, June 5, 2007 11:00 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, December 2, 2013 1:16 PM

While I can not vouch for the complete voracity veracity of the information provided at: http://www.sommarskog.se/error-handling-I.html I found the article very informative and useful.  I stumbled accross it while looking for verification for my answer to the question.  I had the right answer  but it was nice to see "why" my answer was right.

James. 

Post #371388
Posted Tuesday, June 5, 2007 12:15 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 1:51 PM
Yelena: I think the BOL entry is badly phrased. The implication is that such errors would ALWAYS abort the batch; but there is nothing to say that lower-severity errors wouldn't. Error severities in SQL Server are not actually related to how severe a given condition is, but are rather used more like categories. For example, severity 13 is for deadlocks. I personally think that deadlocks are pretty severe... and, by the way, they're batch-aborting if you happen to be the victim!

JLK: I'm not sure what you mean by "voracity" in this context, but I will say that Erland Sommarskog's article is absolutely the best resource on the topic, and I used it as a reference while writing my own chapter on the same. By the way, the other articles on that site are equally excellent--I highly recommend reading them all.

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com: THE SQL Server Blog Spot on the Web
Post #371411
Posted Tuesday, June 5, 2007 12:23 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, December 2, 2013 1:16 PM

Adam: Guess I should have used the word "accuracy" (either that or learn how to spell! [veracity]).  I'm far from and expert in this area and didn't want to steer anyone wrong.  I was impressed with the level of detail Erland included and was pretty confident it was accurate, but that was the first time I every looked into what type of error resulted in what type of action.  Very good information to know, I think I have made poor assumptions in some of my past projets

James.

Post #371414
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:36 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Sunday, December 14, 2014 11:09 PM
alas!
I got it worng

Post #1389126
Posted Monday, November 10, 2014 3:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:42 AM
I thought it was Statement-Terminating
Post #1633301
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse