Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Operating System error 5(Access is Denied) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:42 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:06 AM
Hi,
I tried your theory but no luck, still same problem...
Post #1183054
Posted Sunday, October 23, 2011 10:57 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:06 AM
Hi,
Could you explain me, what are things you changed in Server & destination server.....

Thanks in advance...

Satish
Post #1195018
Posted Monday, October 24, 2011 6:49 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:35 AM
saidapurs (10/23/2011)
Hi,
Could you explain me, what are things you changed in Server & destination server.....

Thanks in advance...

Satish

What errors are you getting?

If you are getting the Operating System error 5(Access is Denied) error, then it is a file permission issue. Go to Run and launch services.msc. Find your SQL services and look at the Log On As field. Make sure that user account has file permissions to the folder where the database resides. I am not a fan of using administrator for running services, but that is my preference.

If your Log On As account is in a domain, make sure you specify the domain name (Domain\LogOnAsUser)
Post #1195175
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 4:06 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:59 PM
Great It works for me thanks
Post #1215242
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:50 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, December 7, 2012 10:17 AM
I had the same problem. But All I had to do was create a new empty database, and restore to that with the overwrite option.
Post #1231160
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:06 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:31 AM
I had this issue and all the solutions online was kind of misleading to my issue. I have the solution here.
http://dotnet-programming-solutions.blogspot.com/2012/10/attach-database-encountered-operating.html
The solution was to Run SSMS as Administrator.
Post #1373877
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:42 AM

Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:35 AM
habeeb.matrix (10/17/2012)
I had this issue and all the solutions online was kind of misleading to my issue. I have the solution here.
http://dotnet-programming-solutions.blogspot.com/2012/10/attach-database-encountered-operating.html
The solution was to Run SSMS as Administrator.

I'm not sure why you were trying to give full rights to NETWORK SERVICE since you we're trying to attach a database as a logged on user. The user you were logged on as needed full rights to "C:\testApp\App_Data\MyDB.mdf" not NETWORK SERVICE.

I'm glad you found a work around for your situation. But for those having the "Error 5" issue via the running SQL service might need to resolve the file permission issue.
Post #1373910
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:33 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:31 AM
In most of the case, the issue must be resolved just by running SSMS as Administrator.
It might need Administrator privilege for file access.
Thanks and Regards,
Habeeb
http://dotnet-programming-solutions.blogspot.com
Post #1392268
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:46 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, March 3, 2014 4:05 AM
hi , OS error 5 corrsponds to permissions issue on the file and folder paths.

plz change path & check.

Check for the privileges whenever you get such an error
Post #1392304
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:14 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:20 PM
Hello saidapurs, you must be careful when changing the service's login user; you must disable the "password expiration policy" from those users (local and destination server's users) in order to prevent issues when connecting to the share folder created on the destination server/PC. I highly recommend you to create an exclusively SQL Server Service's User to prevent this issue and other ones.

If you have a NAS you will not have this issue in public folders.

Hope it help you.

Post #1392470
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse