Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Upgrading a Database SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 1, 2010 6:18 PM
This article certainly highlights the difficulty of performing quality technology services when basic communications skills are substandard.  This article is a difficult read, not for the technical content, but for the grammatical errors, poor sentence structure and even spelling mistakes.  While the author's technical skills may be adequate, writing such an article to build a reputation, gain clients and impress others may have a very different effect.  Such an article should demonstrate a certain skill level in two areas, technology and communications. This author has one.  We should, and this board should, strive for excellence in both.
Post #366292
Posted Friday, May 18, 2007 2:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:58 AM

Nicely written article, gives a fair idea about SQL database upgrade.

keep it up !!

Mamta

Post #367063
Posted Friday, May 18, 2007 10:04 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, July 5, 2007 6:14 AM

The article is complete and it asissted me in doing the upgrade. I've asked my fellow consultants in my company to consider this article as the best practices for our team.

Thanks for the hardwork that was necessary to create this article!!

Post #367266
Posted Friday, June 1, 2007 10:02 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:48 AM

Besides Sachin's guide, I'm also reviewing book "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Unleashed" (SAMS pub) for the proper upgrade path, and find the information about Fulltext indexes conflicting.

While Sachin states Fulltext indexes should be completely removed before upgrading and recreated, the Unleashed text states these are taken care of in both Side-by-Side and In-Place upgrades:

From page 208 for Side-by_Side: "You might be wondering how the [Copy Database] wizard handles your full-text catalogs. Rest assured, they are imported by default during either a restore, an attach, or via the Copy Database Wizard..."

From page 217 for In-Place: "...When your upgrade of the database engine is complete, it is recommended that you perform the following on all databases (also recommended for side-by-side migration): -Repopulate your full-text catalogs. (This is automatically done for databases where Full-Text indexing was enabled prior to the upgrade.)..."

I did not find any reference in the Unleashed text about removing the full-text indexes prior upgrading at all.

What gives???

Thanks for your replies. Great article by the way.

Charlie S.

Post #370729
Posted Sunday, July 1, 2007 1:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, July 1, 2007 12:42 AM
Article is well structured, concise and to the point. It reflects a competency level of an author in this topic. I find it interesting and easy to digest inspite of a fact that the database upgradation has never been my cup of tea.

I really wonder what would happens to a pre-compiled stored procedures which have been created by a user? Would there be any impact on those stored procedures ?

Keep writing more stuff (:-

Regards
Dinesh

Post #378067
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:38 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 25, 2007 2:18 AM
[font=Verdana]Hi,
I restored SQL 2000 Database to SQL 2005 and wanna "Repopulate all Full Text catalogs".

Please let me know how to do this.[/font]
Post #402638
Posted Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:49 PM
The document is excellent!!!

I need something like that, but i need to do a Side by Side Migration.

Could you give some tips, best-practices,...

Thank you;)
Post #414036
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:10 PM
Hi,

Planning sql server 2000 upgrade to sql server 2005. I did a test side-by-side upgrade, installed the 2005 instance on the same box. Realized that the databases on the 2000 instance were automatically replicated to sql 2005. I did backup on sql 2000 and restored to sql 2005. Realized that when i dropped the DBs in the 2000 instance the same DBs in the 2005 instance were also dropped.

Please help
Post #448937
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:42 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:15 AM
In side by side upgrade, sql server 2000 database never gets upgraded automatically. SQL 2000 Database need to be manually ported to the new verstion.

I think, you viewed the old instance of SQL server 2000 using SQL server Management studio and thought it got upgraded. And then from Enterprise manager you droped the same database .

I hope you have the backup. Restore the backup in the new instance you created and then change then compatibility level as mentioned in the document.

Let me know incase of any further query.

Regards
Sachin

Post #449193
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:46 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:10 PM
Thanks Sachin,

I realy apprecaiate your timely response. I did a restore to ANOTHER location, dropped the old DB in sql 2000, and the instance in 2005 was dropped asl well.
I will appreciate if you give me a step by step guide of how to do side-by-side upgrade using BACKUP of the DBs in the 2000 instance and RESTORE to the 2005 instance.

I have two issues raised by upgrade advisor. They are:

1. Outer join operators *= and =* are not supported in 90 compatibility mode

2. Upgrading will cause Full-Text Search to use instance-level, not global, word breakers and filters by default

3. Column aliases in ORDER BY clause cannot be prefixed by table alias

I will appreciate a quick responce. I am already in the project and need to resolve these issues.

Regards,

Victor
Post #449211
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse