Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Use Red-Gate''s backup... and Go to Jail??? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:47 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:15 PM

Brian

If you want to warn people about the licensing, you can just put the title 'licensing' and put the link in the post.  The title was a bit 'hostile'.

You don't want people going to Quest forum and put down hostile title, do you?

Post #347795
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:51 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, October 4, 2007 10:09 AM

Stephanie,

I'm not trying to obfuscate the issue - I agree 100% with what you say about Bob.  I don't absolve Bob from anything and condemn his actions.  The more I looked at this the worse it looked to me. 

But let's hold this site to the same high standard as we hold Bob - can we agree on that?

My problem is the hypocrisy.  Steve outs Bob for failing to disclose who he works for but is guilty of the same exact thing. 

a note on plagarism as well.  A few year's back, I reported a guy who had illegally obtained source code to one of our apps (when we sold source).  He changed some icons and posted it as his app. then advertised briefly on this site.  When I complained about it to SSC and even offered to send them proof Steve's retort was "his money is as good as yours but if you win in a lawsuit we'll take down the banner".   Ironically this vendor's money WASN'T as good as mine - as he never paid his bill - which I thought was poetic justice. 

But again - it's convenient to have high ethics when it doesn't cost you anything (calling out people who plagarize articles) but as soon as money is involved then things are different.  This guy was giving SSC money so I would have had to spend $50K and 2 years to sue him in order for Steve to do the right thing.  Right now Red-Gate is giving this site money - does it have an effect?  you tell me.

Brian Lockwood
President
ApexSQL - SQL Developer Essentials

http://www.apexsql.com/blog

Stand up for an Independent SQL Community - be Informed
Post #347797
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:53 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:34 PM
A couple comments. I'm not saying I was right, but I think I did what I would have done last year or the year before.

I stated that I wasn't an employee of Red Gate. I definitely work for them and I definitely get paid by them under contract. It's a distinction and while I might not be completely unbiased, I wasn't before either when Quest, Apex, sqlSentry and others paid my salary in addition to Red Gate through advertising.

If you'd like an omnibudsman, I'd be interested to know how we can get someone to do it without pay. Or who's indepdendent. Post some answers and I'd certainly entertain Mr. Bill or Mr. Kelley's comments.

Brian, we haven't always agreed, maybe rarely, but I do give you credit for standing behind your comments. I think I have always done the same and I don't appreciate you implying otherwise.

The "Supported by" wasn't a good term and I got it changed. I responded to comments and criticisms from the community. And I will continue to do so.

I think I would have done it last year. I also don't think I called it a crime, but bad manners. And a potential copyright violation, not for sure.

I'm happy for people to disagree and tell me I'm wrong. Heck, I'm probably wrong more than right on a lot of things. Despite my disagreement, I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #347801
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:01 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

this was the title of the article in question

http://weblog.infoworld.com/dbunderground/archives/2007/02/use_redgates_ba.html

the Quest guy just copied this title as the subject of his post(s). 

you might have me confused with someone else - I don't care what is posted in Quest forums.  hmmm - maybe *I'm* a Quest employee too and I don't even know it.

everytime I come back to "SQL Community 1984" I get real confused ....

Brian Lockwood
President

Post #347812
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:19 AM
SSCrazy

Sorry Brian.  It was Bob. 

But my idea was just put out the link would be enough and the title, well, let people be the judge.

Post #347824
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:52 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 10:29 AM

I have not read the blog post yet but I have completed the present thread. I'm a bit steamed at the foo-foo-rah caused by this alleged incident.

Now moving on to those who are vendors posting to discussions. You are not special. You are just one or a few of 400,000+ community. I read and sometimes participate in your discussion(s) just as others in the community. Each and every one of the community can have item(s) removed if the posted material is questionable or objectionable. Moderator(s), have a responsibility over things of this nature <PERIOD> Now do I hear a vast outcry about censorship from the 400,000+ members in this community over this ? NO ! Remember, again, it is a discussion forum. There are moderators. Content can be removed at will by those who allow its use <PERIOD> So, you vendors, what entitles you to special treatment ? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !

Now let us get on to the more sublime aspect - your 'free' publicity in forums such as this. Incidents like this only servers to galvanize my resolve to not use any of your products and recommend the same to all that I know.

One final note to those vendors fueling this ... think of the vast amount of time/resources (MONEY) that you have wasted that is not yours.

• 400,000 members
  • 5 minutes to read the read the thread
  • 2,000,000 minutes, 3,333 hours, or 1.6 man years

I have not even accounted for time to digest, mull and respond to this foo-foo-rah. What a waste. Yup, it is on you, the vendors !!!

Well, I will now do some real work, then eat lunch and read the blog mentioned.

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #347882
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:38 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

I think it's ironic that this is perhaps the worst post in the entire thread - it contains no relevant information or even logical arguments - and YOU are complaining about people wasting time?  ahhhh - ok ....

if you have a point I have missed it.  also note this was posted in the vendor section - are vendors not supposed to comment in this section.  coupled with the fact nobody else does this section should remain real quiet!

I don't recall anybody asking for "special treatment".  I haven't - I don't believe Quest has.  To the contrary I've asked SSC to apply the same rigid standards of disclosure/disclaimers they apply to posters they "out" to themselves.

At the risk of having you "waste" another 5 minutes I'd suggest you reread this thread - this time more slowly. 

Brian Lockwood
President

Post #347894
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:42 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 3:22 PM
I'm with Rudy.  I am sick of rantings (and re-rantings) on this site.  I happen to use a few of Mr. Lockwood's tools, and I find them very useful.  Unfortunately, his incessant griping is beginning to leave a bad taste in my mouth.  Yes, this may not be related to the original subject of this thread, but neither are the numerous "points" that have been brought up for re-hashing.

Steve, keep up the good work!  I always look forward to reading your editorials, and am grateful for all the work that you have put into this site.

Post #347944
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:07 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:34 PM
Thanks and please let me know if I'm ranting too much.

Maybe it's time to go back to talking about windmills and cool cars

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #347952
Posted Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:11 PM
SSCrazy

Can we go back and talk about SQL Server and its own tools?
Post #347954
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse