Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Multiple Monitors Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:11 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/multiplemonitors.asp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #3426
Posted Thursday, April 4, 2002 7:02 PM
SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 10:06 AM
Love this feature and I love TV Out cards. I have an ATI AllInWOnder I have had for 3 years and never tire of all I can do, but can't wait for the Radeon 8500DV to hit the price I want. I also have a TV Out capable GeForce in my laptop which has been so usefull. And I am currently working on getting the second card myself and hope to soon (may raid a spare machine when no one is looking).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Post #31177
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2002 5:47 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:02 AM
Very cool Steve! Did not know you could do this and the wheels are already turning to see how I can swing this here. Thanks!

David

David

@SQLTentmaker
SQL Tentmaker
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot
Post #31178
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2002 11:34 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

This is actually very cool. So nice to work a query in one window and something else in another.
This was run on W98 as well (and XP). I did this 7 years ago with a special video card ($600+) for data entry people in a mostly paperless office.

Give it a try. Tell your boss your video card failed!

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #31179
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2002 1:14 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:56 AM
Might try it too. Been thinking it would be nice to have Perfmon on a monitor on the wall or something, cycling through various servers so I can glance up to see whats going on.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #31180
Posted Friday, April 26, 2002 6:38 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:05 AM
This sounds interesting and we certainly have enough spare monitors around. We probably have extra video cards too.

How do you move from one screen to the other? How do you control what goes on one screen and what goes on the other?

Robert Marda

Robert W. Marda
SQL Programmer
Ipreo
Post #31181
Posted Friday, April 26, 2002 8:37 AM

SSC-Dedicated

the two screens are both your desktop. You configure in Control Panel | display the orientation (up/down, side to side). Your mouse then moves easily as if it were one screen.
So in my case, when I click the start menu and then move the mouse to the right, when it reaches the end of the first monitor, it moves to the second. I can then drag windows and things from one monitor to the other.

I set mine up with QA, Excel, mail messages on one window. Outlook, Word, EM on the other. After a few weeks I found which things I use together and separated these out. I can always move them, but they remember the last location. BTW, maximize only does to that window. Kind of nice.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #31182
Posted Monday, April 29, 2002 4:03 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 7:58 AM
Definately very cool and productive with dual monitors. Even if you dont actively work in the second monitor space, it's nice to have PerfMons or Outlook running there, always within view.

Another tip: switch boxes. I also have a test server under my desk, utilizing a switch box (the brandname is "Blackbox Personal ServSwitch"), to toggle my monitor / keyboard / mouse from my PC to the test server. Really nice way to work when you do need a second computer.

Post #31183
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse