Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

A Review of PDF-eXPLODE Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 1, 2007 8:52 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:40 AM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/kKellenberger/2850.asp

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #341671
Posted Thursday, February 15, 2007 3:58 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:29 AM

Hmmm... Not entirely clear on the email address, are you saying, for example, that you can run a report with outstanding invoices for (i.e.) 200 customers and insert their email address from your database into the report - giving you 200 invoices on 200 pages with an individual email address on each page?

If this is the case then fair enough, could be a useful product, if you can't do that then the email interface looks a little clunky....

Of course until it's tested with 200 invoices I wouldn't trust it not to fall over - documents and memory managment have never been the best of friends.....

Post #345070
Posted Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:44 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:53 AM
Bursting is pretty common to advanced reporting systems (Cognos, Crystal), this seems interesting to move that to a more loosely coupled design.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #345130
Posted Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:52 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:47 PM

Hello

I am the developer of PDF-eXPLODE in Australia. I was very surprised to find out recently that Kathi (who I was supporting along with the US Distributor while she was evaluating the product) was indeed a reviewer for SQLServercentral.

To answer your question:

"are you saying, for example, that you can run a report with outstanding invoices for (i.e.) 200 customers and insert their email address from your database into the report - giving you 200 invoices on 200 pages with an individual email address on each page? "

YES YES. Here is an extract from a Client who processed 3500 MS Access report pages - Yes you need upto 2 GB memory for this type of extensive run and YES it took a few business hours on one day, but please read on... 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

fxBRIDGE®

TECHNOLOGIES

Mark Fonseca                                                   

3000AD Systems Pty LTD

10 Paul Ave

St Ives NSW 2075

Australia

Dear Mark,

Please accept this letter of recommendation for your product PDF-eXPLODE. fxBridge Technologies creates a comprehensive dealing platform for Forex & CFD options and spot trading. In supporting our clients, we create thousands of statements for their customer accounts.

When we decided to archive each statement as an individual file, we were facing thousands of dollars in potential programming effort. By using your software, we were able to eliminate having to tie up valuable programmer resources. One person from our administrative staff was able to get the job done in one day. We consider the savings from using your software far exceeding the price.

Thank you again for your product.

Sincerely,

James N. Friedman

Director of Marketing

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Business Objects have done a Case Study of PDF-eXPLODE in use at one Client site and you can read that here: diamond.businessobjects.com/system/files/cr_case_study_pdf_explode.pdf 

Please feel free to view more FAQs that add to the Help files by clicking here:

http://www.pdf-explode.net/question.html 

Thank you

Mark Fonseca

3000AD SYSTEMS, AUSTRALIA

Post #345135
Posted Monday, March 10, 2008 6:09 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:37 AM
Hi Kathi\Mark,

I have numerous SSIS packages that loop through a distribution list populating Excel reports and sending each file directly to clients. Would it be possible to use this product to convert the Excel file into a PDF and then send this file to the client within the SSIS package? Or do you know if there is another way of doing this using SSIS?

Thanks in advance.
Liam
Post #466603
Posted Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:38 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:40 AM
Liam,

You should probably contact the company directly. I think the question would be can this product be run from a command line so that it can be automated. It has been a while since I reviewed it, so I am not sure.

Kathi

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #468153
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:19 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, June 2, 2008 11:56 PM
Hi,

I found a program which is doing report bursting and it delivers the bursted documents through email and/or ftp. The tool is called DocumentBurster (www.pdfburst.com) and it is free for using. It can burst reports generated with any popular report generator like Bussiness Objets or JasperReports and it can be used on Windows and Unix systems.

Thank you,
Virgil
Post #474260
Posted Thursday, April 3, 2008 5:56 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:39 AM
Hi Liam,

I have a client (prestigious Venture Capital firm) using PDF-eXPLODE to send Excel-based portfolio valuation reports. Each worksheet (tab) contains a different portfolio destined for a different client. I inserted another worksheet to list the tab names and decode them to one or more e-mail addresses to send each report to. I also compute the pdf file names based on the month/year of the reports, and whether or not to send the report to e-mail or only to store the pdf archive. PDF-eXPLODE has lots of options so we were able to customize it to the client's needs.

Rob H.

Post #479105
Posted Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:48 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:37 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies but I don't think that is quite what I am looking for. I want to convert the Excel file into a PDF within the SSIS package and then email the PDF using SSIS. Kathi's suggestion would work but looking at their FAQs this is not what this product does.

I'll carry on looking.
Cheers,
L
Post #482407
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:30 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, June 2, 2008 11:56 PM
Hello,

It is very easy to call DocumentBurster from command line in order to automate the process from other scripts. This is how it was designed. Give it a try.

Thank you,
Virgil
Post #483206
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse