Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Copyright at SQLServerCentral.com Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:53 PM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/pressrelease/2842.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #340649
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:51 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:08 AM

There always seem to be confusion over this subject, for as long back as I can remember and before forums and so forth became so popular. There's also still confusion about code written at work, both by employees and contractors - I'm not aware of the differences between US and here in the UK, never been bothered particularly.

If you post/publish code/articles etc. you're putting it into the public domain ( for others to do with as they see fit ) as to who "owns" it - well if I post code on a microsoft msdn forum does microsoft own it ?

I'm still slightly worried about the Redgate ownership ( not for this reason ), but as to publishing code/articles - if you write something good hopefully others will want to use it, why else submit/post - the obvious concern is plagiarism and this does tend to happen, copyright or not.

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #340805
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007 10:00 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, August 04, 2008 5:45 AM
I have seen some non-IT forums that claim copyright to everything posted on the forum. Glad to hear that this one is not that way.

r
Post #340921
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:47 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:29 AM

I didn't do it

Take care,

Bert

"Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I'm resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also." - Michael Faraday

Post #340980
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:55 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:30 AM
That is disappointing that some people have gotten that idea.
Post #341006
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:59 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:29 AM
It wasn't me

Take care,

Bert

"Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I'm resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also." - Michael Faraday

Post #341009
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007 2:59 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Today @ 12:00 AM
Steve,
Thanks for addressing this so quickly. I would have been be very upset if the transfer to RedGate could so severely twist the MARVELOUS help-tool you've built here. Glad it's not so.

As I continue to get highly useful insights from SQLServerCentral, I am encouraged to contribute in return.

Thanks again,
Peter
Post #341054
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:11 AM
I don't think it was Bert, but thanks to him for pointing this out as a potential problem.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #341071
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:18 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:11 AM
Hat's off to the "remaining partner"... well done, Mr. Jones!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #341118
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:37 PM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:41 AM

*scratches head*

When in doubt, check the terms and conditions... this is a good policy for any site, especially any e-commerce sites. I guess I'm not surprised that folks didn't check out things more closely for themselves, but FUD never gets us anywhere in the end.

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #341124
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse