Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Putting Unit Tests to Work Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:58 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:50 PM

I'm not a .Net guy either... that's why I just right click on a proc in QA and select [OPEN].  A windows opens with all the parameters available which can be filled in.  When you finally select execute, it opens a new query window with the code the system wrote to do the test. 

Not sure if we're talking the same thing, though...

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #342296
Posted Sunday, February 4, 2007 4:26 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:15 AM

I like the idea of formal unit testing, although I'm yet to be convinced that it's something that many database devleopers have seriously tried to adopt, although this could be because there are not enough tools like DBPro and TSQLUnit that provide an easy-to-use framework from which tests can be authored and run.

I'm curious know how DBPro unit testing compares to TSQLUnit? Are there pros and cons to their respective approaches?

David

Post #342306
Posted Monday, February 5, 2007 5:23 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 4:21 PM

I've used both (and wrote articles on both). I think the TSQLUnit is a more pure version of unit testing than DBPro. TSQLUnit also has pretty good reporting capabilities on the results of multiple tests.

DBPro is a lot easier to use and more easily extended than TSQLUnit. Then there's the convenience factor. As someone noted above, right click on a proc and you've got a unit test with parameters built in. Too easy.

I don't know that we'll write formal unit tests for all our procs, but we know that some apps or some procs within apps are candidates for frequent tweaks during development. So, those we get tests for. They've proved invaluable. I just recently rewrote a series of procs from an old project. I created tests for procedure with a before & after run through the data compare extension. I was able to validate these procedures as I went which convinced the business unit that I wasn't ruining their lives but rather improving them.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #342394
Posted Monday, March 26, 2007 3:00 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:04 PM

Hi,

I have implemented the code pretty much as written, but am having trouble getting the test condition registered. 

Your article does not describe how to add the assembly to the GAC, or to generate the public key that you have in the xml, but I found this info in Sachin's original article.  It would be helpful to see this info in your article, as well as a suggestion for how to name your project at the start.

I do think that you mistyped the line

<extension type="TablesEqual.TablesEqual" enabled="true" />

in your xml file: Assuming that you named your assembly TablesEqual, shouldn't you use TablesEqual.DataEqual?

There is also a disagreement between your article and Sachin's about where to put the xml file.  He says the DBPro directory, you say the MSVSTEDB - ENU directory.

On to my problem - I have the code compiled into a DLL.  I have run gacutil and have copied the public key into the xml file.  I've put the xml file in both directories suggested above, and still have no luck in getting the condition to show up in my tests.  I've tried creating new test projects and also tried manually adding my dll as a reference for the test project.  None of this seems to work.

Any suggestions?

Mark

Post #353994
Posted Monday, March 26, 2007 8:33 PM

SSCoach

I think you're correct on my errors in the article. Thanks for the input. I'm not sure if Steve will let me do an update, but I'll check.

I suspect it's the XML. Every time I've had a problem, that's been where it resided. One other issue, the code I wrote was against the CTP6 version of the software. Several small things changed with the release, especially some of the formatting for the XML file. Check the online documentation to verify what you have is the latest format.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
and

Post #354038
Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:04 PM

That did it, thanks.  I found the info at

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa833231(VS.80).aspx

Some extra attributes are required on the extensions line:

<extensions assembly="CustomCondition, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=<enter key here>" version="1"  xmlns="urn:Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamSystem.Data.Extensions" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamSystem.Data.Extensions
Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamSystem.Data.Extensions.xsd">

Note the extra attributes after version="1".

So to sum up info that could improve the article

1. At the top, specify the assembly name you are creating, since it will be needed in the xml file.
  2. In the code, consider adding an override of the ToString method to give a meaningful description of the test condition in the Values column of the Test Conditions list box.
  3. Describe (or point to a description of) how to sign your code, run gacutil, and get the public key.
  4. Update the xml example
    1. Make sure the assembly name matches the assembly name created above.
    2. Add the extra attributes at the end of the extensions line.
    3. Clarify that extension type="<NameSpace>.<ClassName>"
    4. The current directory in which to drop the xml file is c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\DBPro\

Thanks again for your help, and for the article,

Mark

Post #354153
Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:18 AM

SSCoach

I was just going to look this up and I saw your response. Thanks for the assist.

I'll look into updating the article, but if I can't, at least your comments will be here to help out.

Thanks again.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #354272
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse