Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Putting Unit Tests to Work Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:49 AM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/gFritchey/2805.asp

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #336608
Posted Thursday, February 01, 2007 4:47 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, July 30, 2010 11:27 AM
Thanks -- the content was very good.  The format, however, (I'm sure not the fault of the author) made the article unprintable, and difficult to read on screen. At least my hand-eye coordination is poor enough that having to scroll way to the right to follow a line of text and then way back to the left margin to read the next gives me a fit. I'm glad the code doesn't break in arbitrary places, but the narrative ought to fit in a screen.
Post #341593
Posted Thursday, February 01, 2007 5:22 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Thank you.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. When a line of code extends past the edge of the screen it shoots ALL the text out there too. It does make things hard to read. I wonder if the powers that be can do anything about it?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
and

Post #341602
Posted Thursday, February 01, 2007 6:56 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, July 30, 2010 11:27 AM
Blush...I just found the "Print This!" icon on the article (top). Gives a much better format for printing and reading!
Post #341623
Posted Thursday, February 01, 2007 9:56 AM

SSChampion

Now we're both learning. I never noticed that before either.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #341701
Posted Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:29 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:39 PM
Thanks Grant, this is a great article. Slightly on, and slightly off topic: I'm trying to convince my bosses that this would be a good idea. This being DBPro. How much of the whole For Professionals system do you have to implement to make this happen? Can I just install the IDE, and get all the unit test stuff working, or do I need to install the server side as well?

Thanks,

Rick Todd
Post #341722
Posted Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:52 AM

SSChampion

You get all the functionality I've talked about without any of the server components. The server adds in all the Team activities like Work Items, Team builds, shared documents, etc.. I actually haven't used it much, so I'm not too familiar with it.

You get the DBPro install done & you can build & deploy databases, unit testing, generate test data (maybe the next article), etc. BTW, you'll need to beat your Microsoft rep about the face & neck to get them to admit it, but you don't need the Team Suite in order to install & run DBPro. You'll see a substantial savings on an already very expensive tool if you take the time & trouble to give them a good thrashing (plus, it's fun).

The Scary DBA
and

Post #341731
Posted Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:55 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:24 PM
<Rick Todd>Can I just install the IDE, and get all the unit test stuff working, or do I need to install the server side as well?</Rick Todd>

You shouldn't need to install a Team Foundation Server but I believe you need to have one of the Team System products installed on your workstation. It might be worth pushing for a Team Foundation Server though; it's worth just to get rid of SourceSafe! However, if you've already switched to another source control system it might not be as big of a sell to you or your management.

[Edit]Grant beat me to the punch and notes that you can lay DBPro on a Non-Team System Visual Studio installation.

Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD
Business Intelligence Administrator
MSBI Administration Blog
Post #341733
Posted Friday, February 02, 2007 8:37 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 9:29 AM

Tatsu,

As far as I'm aware, you will need Team System for Database Professionals Edition, but not the "Suite", which is the much more expensive package that includes all four Editions (Architect,Dev,Test,DB).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

David

Post #342065
Posted Friday, February 02, 2007 8:49 AM

SSChampion

You're 100% correct.

I actually thought that was what I said.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #342069
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse