Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Get file size Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:46 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 22, 2015 10:19 AM
Jeff,

I love your script.

Thanks

Hai

Post #1224806
Posted Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:59 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:10 PM
Thanks, Hai.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1224830
Posted Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:56 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, April 10, 2015 10:31 PM
Thanks a lot Jeff. Really helpful and you saved 2 days of my time ..
Post #1466530
Posted Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:24 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

onlygoodones (6/23/2013)
Thanks a lot Jeff. Really helpful and you saved 2 days of my time ..

Thank you for the feedback. It's good to know that some of the older posts still help folks.

The proc works but, because of the multiple procedure calls in the While Loops, it's slow on directories that contain a lot of files. If you do have a whole lot of files, let me know what it is in the directory that you're looking for and we might be able to come up with a faster method.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1466547
Posted Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:27 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, July 2, 2015 2:39 PM
This saved the day for a SQL2012 need.

Many thanks!
Post #1673378
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:31 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SAinCA (3/31/2015)
This saved the day for a SQL2012 need.

Many thanks!

Wow. Even after all this time. Thank you for the feedback. Care to share any details on what you're doing? I'm always curious.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1673607
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:04 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, July 2, 2015 2:39 PM
We sadly lost our original customer and the loss seems irrevocable. Thus, why leave their millions of records in our 10Bn row raw-data table?

So I'm building a somewhat intelligent archival tool, based around bcp as we already use it successfully at our remote SQL Express locations.

The tenet, "First, do no harm" applies here: don't delete anything until you're sure you have a non-zero KB length file in place!

So, having looked at the old xp_cmdshell method and being too lazy to work out if the sp_OA% procedures might help, off to Google-land I trod.

It took an hour or so of looking at other solutions, refining searches, etc., but I came across your SP late yesterday, snagged the code, topped-it with my DBA DB USE, etc., and was delighted to see it compile successfully first time, then run faultlessly to list out SQL Agent Job log files, as a proof of use.

Taking your CREATE TABLE #FileDetails and making it my DECLARE @FileDetails TABLE was an easy clone, and here I am, WHERE EXISTS Path = @mypathandfile AND Size > 0, later, with a solution that fits my exact need.

You have my (continued) admiration for the lengths you must have gone to in order to put this thing together. Beyond that, making it available free gratis and for nowt is highly praiseworthy.

Again, MANY thanks, Jeff.
Post #1673613
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse