Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

What's a Good Manager Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 19, 2006 6:39 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:55 AM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/jchan/2768.asp
Post #331678
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007 2:04 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, September 7, 2007 1:13 AM

A very good article.  The part about trust and respect is very true. 

Not enough feedback about management is processed thoroughly both during and after an employee's tenure.  And even when it is processed, it can be misconstrued as sour grapes.

Companies pay a lot of money to recruit employees and they don't seem to be able to equate this against the cost of having good managers in place that will prolong the life of the employees that they manage.

Managers should be continually assessed through an appraisal system and special attention should be paid to what their subordinates have to say about them.

Post #337068
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007 2:50 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:34 AM

Hi,

A very good article.

My points :

>> I think all the company small or Big should have a manager feedback form which should filled up the employees once in every 3 months.

>> This form should be checked by the CEO or the Chairperson of that company.

>> Depending on the feedback even managers appraisal should be effected.

This way the organization will be transparent to everyone.

Regards,

Minaz Amin

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"
Post #337071
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, February 25, 2013 10:18 AM

Hi,

First Post for me!

Well, my point is that article is very good.

I started to work about 3 years ago... and I could see what this article describes. I saw very bad managers who yell at me for any reasons... and good manager too.

I manage a 4-7 people team, and I try to do as good as I can. I don't try to be a good manager, I try to be myself. I respect the people I work with, and even if we haven't the same tasks, we are a team so we help each other, and I try that everyone enjoy working like that...

It's just respect between peoples... if you respect the other, then they'll respect you.

I know I hadn't a consistent experience in management... and my feedback would probably change in the futur, but i think I'm close to the reality....

Any feedback is welcome!

Regards

CedrickB. - FRANCE

Post #337078
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:13 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:02 AM

I think we probably all have good and bad experiences throughout our working lives. The view of a good manager is subjective, those working for a manager will have one and those for whom the manger works another, it is very unlikely there will be much common ground between the two.

Probably the company ethos will be the main influence, management by fear is a common factor in many corporates as is the ability to pass the buck efficiently. The ability to play the internal politics game is quite crucial and this may or may not be obvious to those who are managed.

I have never worked in a job I don't like and having had fairly extensive management training and experience I can see from both sides, sometimes, as I don't like the politics and pc stuff which can impair efficient management I choose not to these days and work for my own company.

Interesting article which is probably going to spawn a series of  "my experience was worse than yours" or "bad managers I have known" which will detract from any serious discussion.

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #337087
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:40 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:01 PM

I really enjoyed reading this article. It is full of good ideas.

One point I'd like to emphasise is that  the 'team' management skills are easy to define and train. They are quite different from technical skills in their nature but, just as nobody is born with programming skills, so it is with the skills to manage a team. What always puzzles me is that people are prepared to take on a management role without any training, experience, or backgroung reading, whereas most of us would feel shame and guilt about taking on a technical IT role without training or experience.

The other point which comes out strongly from this article is that we should be absolutely frank with our managers about what we think of their 'team' skills, and assist them as much as we can to improve their skills. Good teams tend to get good managers. Maybe we all need training in 'Team' skills.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #337104
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007 6:08 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:02 AM

actually I have seen ( been part of ) some good team training at work ( I'm not actually convinced it produced the desired effect, however  and I've carefully kept the details just in case!

Communication is always the key, something which is sometimes seen as bad - hence the IT silo approach. I'm not sure about talking to managers about team skills , especially if it can be taken as criticism, I sometimes think employees , as against contractors/freelancers, are much more constrained - worries about pension, holidays, propects, appraisals, bonus etc. etc.

Whilst I might agree team/management skills can be easily defined and taught, learning and /or adopting them is another matter.

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #337109
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007 6:14 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:39 PM

Good article. Interesting points. I've been at both extremes of the scale at large & small companies. Heck, I even went through the management change at a large company where the good manager was replaced with the demon manager from hell (who, by the way, when I quit, told me that if she ever had the chance to prevent my getting a job or could fire me in the future, she would, lovely person).

I don't know that I agree that things are getting worse & worse as far as management goes. My worst managers are in the past & most of my most recent managers are good people trying to do a good job. The thing is, just as I screw up occasionally on a database design or a process or a new query, my managers have made some seriously questionable decisions. As hard as it is to do, I've tried to take the attitude that they're trying to do as good a job as I am until and unless evidence to the contrary surfaces. That attitude has served me well because I've been able to develop more communication with my managers saying "Hey, I think you really balled up this call and here's why." Even if they don't agree with me, I can at least get their reasoning which, surprisingly, frequently makes sense.

As far as people being trained as managers... While Phil is right, no one is born to code or to manage, there are inherent predilictions that make people better at one job than another. I know that I stink at management but I'm at least capable as a coder. So I try to play to my strengths and avoid management. On the other hand, I've got a co-worker who's a great coder, but he's also a natural as a manager. Despite the fact that he's younger & less experienced than I am, I know I'm going to watch him climb the corporate ladder like a monkey. Not only am I OK with it, I'm encouraging & helping him because he's going to be the kind of manager all of us want to work for.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #337110
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007 6:20 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:36 PM

It's not easy to be a good manager OR a good employee, both take experience and feedback. The most effective feedback comes from a mentor if you can find one, someone that will give it to you straight and that you know you don't have to filter what they are telling you. Experience, well, it's painful for the learner and the learnee

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #337112
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007 6:23 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:14 AM

A great article. There is quite a lot in it that I recognised & which ultimately led to me stepping down from a management post to going back and being a techie.

I simply couldn't put up with the management bs whilst trying to look after the welfare of my team. The last straw came for me when my manager found out that I had encouraged a staff member to resign and go back to university. The member of staff was clearly unhappy in her job and although we tried a few things it was pretty clear that she was in the wrong career and was very unhappy to boot. The two of us sat down together and talked things out with the result that I encouraged her to go back to university and go down a different career path. She graduated with honours from her masters programme and is very happy in her new position. We meet frequently for lunch and she is like a different person now.

When my management team found out boy did I get a right rollocking from then as they viewed the staff member to be one of their most valuable. So ultimately her happiness ment nothing to them and only productivity counted (even though she went about her work with little enthusiasm or cheer).

Since I've been back as a techie I've experienced both good & bad management, but now I concentrate on the job & when bad management comes my way I know enough to manipulate the situation and work arround the problem.

Post #337113
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse