Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««45678»»

Introduction to Bitmasking in SQL Server 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:29 AM
Joe you still in the Austin area?

Lee Everest

Post #332641
Posted Friday, December 22, 2006 3:22 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:38 AM
Yep. I show up at IEEE meetings now and then, and CACTUSS almost all the time, and wherever anyone will invite me to speak in Austin. I am currently doing book #7 (hope to finish before April 2007) and teaching a DB Design course on-line for MySQL AB from home. In January, I will be a Texas-42 instructor for Royal Caribbean Cruises for a week -- it is a domino game only played in Texas. I hope to get to Australia in 2007.

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
Analytics and OLAP in SQL
Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Trees and Hierarchies in SQL
Post #332654
Posted Friday, December 22, 2006 5:15 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Doesn't sound like you are slowing down any. Good. Live longer!

I'll be heading down that way tomorrow, G'town, to Mom's for Christmas. Hope to plow over as many 'horns as possible en route

Lee Everest

Post #332674
Posted Sunday, December 24, 2006 5:32 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:56 PM
What do you get when you cross a sheep with a bee?

Baa Hum Bug

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #332717
Posted Monday, February 12, 2007 6:31 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:44 PM

Lee,

I found your article very intriguing.  The idea of bitmasking use hex values is indeed an old technique.  Back when programmers actually cared about memory and disk space; back when you had to.  Today's programmers take this for granted and create bloated programs that cost the end user gigabytes of space and a trip to the local computer shack for more RAM.

Your article reminds us how to maximize space by representing data in hex format.  Actually reminds me a lot of IPV6 and all the hex values now used in this protocol.  Hex allows us to represent far more data in less space.  Even the authors of IPV4 learned this the hard way.  Now we use Hex for IPV6, Ok lessoned learned.

Again great article and as far as using a DB for this, who cares? A DB is a data repository key word being data just as the file system (e.g. Windows registry) is used as a repository, or memory (temporary, however it is), and XML.

Fantastic!

- M. Ross

Post #344403
Posted Friday, March 23, 2007 12:21 PM

SSC Veteran

Thanks Matt. I agree and have come to the conclusion that those not agreeing with the article, or those otherwise opposed to using the relational engine in this fashion, would be the first to store XML, a blob, etc. in the database, but would rather have someone else's engine mask the data to binary. I am simply replacing someone's engine for doing this. This is the what they cannot comprehend or make sense out of. And, as far as I can remember, a binary data type is ANSI compliant regardless of who fashions the binary data which goes into it - a third-party program, .Net, or a programmer/db developer.

Lee Everest

Post #353612
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:57 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:45 AM
ab5sr (3/23/2007)
... those otherwise opposed to using the relational engine in this fashion, would be the first to store XML, a blob, etc. in the database...

I'd say just the opposite. Those who have issues with storing data in this manner would likely have the same issue with XML in the database and for the same reason. Sure it's possible to do it, but then it's not data anymore. It cannot be queried with SET logic. All the benefits of using a relational database are lost. I suppose if you're okay with that, then Godspeed. I would personally avoid it if at all possible.

It is an interesting article nonetheless. :)
Post #429913
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:50 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:16 AM
Matthew Ross (2/12/2007)

Lee,

... as far as using a DB for this, who cares? A DB is a data repository key word being data just as the file system (e.g. Windows registry) is used as a repository, or memory (temporary, however it is), and XML.

- M. Ross

Yeah... a database is a place to store data, just like an F-15 is a place to store jet fuel. Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/
Post #429934
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2007 5:01 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 9:16 PM
Whether I agree with bit-masking in SQL Server or not, I enjoyed the article. Thanks.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #429974
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:22 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2008 1:58 PM
good article, it will be relevant to folks working with hierarchy ids that need to maintain sibling order.

I think I see why Lee avoided varbinary in the example. It looks like assigning a value to a varbinary, witnessing it's length as n, and then bit masking it against itself can result in it having a length longer than n, even if it (the growth in bytes) wasnt necessary.
Post #474313
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««45678»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse