Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Source Control in SQL Server Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:02 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 7:23 AM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at temp
Post #326559
Posted Monday, December 04, 2006 4:30 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:55 AM
I have found the following significant irritations when using Managmenent studio source control:

1. It creates 'connection objects' in the project, these can be very confusing and dangerous as they can easily point to your live environment. This means when you open a script in source control you have to carefully check which environment, management studio has decided to open a connection to.

2. It doesn't sort scripts in alphabetical order?? The fact this feature is missing is extremely aggrevating and is surely very easy to develop.

3. Getting source safe to create the desired folder structure, is impossible (and if not impossible very difficult). Not sure if this is management studio's fault as VSS is
Post #327325
Posted Monday, December 04, 2006 4:31 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 9:29 AM

I've always shied away from using any of the source control integration offered by editors/IDEs, instead using the source control client itself for check-outs and check-ins. I can't quite put my finger on why I do it this way, because I definitely like the idea of integration. I think it's because I know that regardless of the application/editor I eventually use to edit my source controlled files, using the same UI for the check-out/in operation is somehow comforting to me - I know that it's something that I've done successfully before, it doesn't involve any more configuring of source control settings, and I have confidence that it will work.

I'd be curious to know if it's just me, or whether most people actually prefer using the built-in source control integration that various IDEs like SSMS and Visual Studio provide.

David Atkinson, Red Gate Software

Post #327326
Posted Monday, December 04, 2006 4:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

pretty bad as well.

4. Everytime i open a solution, I get a message about solution vs project binding. While this is less important, it reminds me everytime i use 'source control' that this is a shoddy implementation.
Post #327327
Posted Monday, December 04, 2006 4:37 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Hi david,

I used to use VSS's client directly as you described. I have found that management studio saves a marginal amount of time as i don't have to go in and out of QA & VSS all the time as was the case with sql 2000. SQL 2005 doesn't replace the VSS client completely as I still have to use this to sort out any messes made by management studio & do things like labelling.
Post #327329
Posted Monday, December 04, 2006 5:47 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Hi Noel,

For me it's a trade off between a "marginal" improvement and the familiarity of the source control client. If I'm going to have to have my source control client open anyhow (which I do), it's quite a trival operation to alt-tab to it and perform whichever operation I need. As you point out, there are some functions that are only available in the client, so I guess you probably have yours open too. If labelling (and the other functions that you can't do in SSMS) were integrated, would that make your life a lot easier? I definitely agree with the principal that the fewer tools that are required to do a job, the better.

David

Post #327337
Posted Monday, December 04, 2006 7:22 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:37 AM

I agree with Noel wholeheartedly, the lack of alphabetical sorting is extremely annoying and wastes precious time.

However I much prefer to have source control integrated into the 1 piece of s/w where I do all of my DB development (SSMS), so that's a big plus for me.

My other bug-bear at the moment is that when initially adding a file to a project it is created as binary so I can't compare different versions, I have to go into source safe -> right click the file -> properties and change binary to text. This would be a useful feature for SSMS too.

Overall though, it's a good start, but could try harder!

Post #327356
Posted Monday, December 04, 2006 7:59 AM
SSC Rookie

Are there any other source control features that would make sense to control from within SSMS?

Noel mentioned labelling. Would this be something that you would want to do from inside SSMS? Or are some features best left to the source control client?

David

Post #327376
Posted Tuesday, December 05, 2006 7:13 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 6:21 AM

Amongst the other problems that have been mentioned, for me, the biggest problem with VSS integration was something the author alluded to in the conclusion:

"...whenever a script has been updated, the only way to reflect the changes in the source control is to script the file and update the changes". 

And vice-versa - when you change your source control file, check it in you then have to remember to apply those changes to the database.

Which is why I developed an integrated source control app that automatically applies the changes to the SQL Server when a script is checked in (link in sig.  small plug ).  Oh, and the source control database sits on a SQL Server.

But then, as David indicated, some people shy away from the integrated editors - which I can also relate to.

So I then thought I'd throw in intelliense - only for Red-Gate to come and steal my thunder.

Karl
source control for SQL Server
Post #327833
Posted Tuesday, December 05, 2006 12:18 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:01 PM
Visual Studio Team Edition for Database Professionals includes improved source control functionality. In addition, you can associate assigned work tasks with source changes.

I attended a product launch last week during which it was indicated that the Team Edition suite of products is where Microsoft is investing their source control development budget; Visual Source Safe is not being developed anymore.
Post #328027
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse