Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Mind Your Manners Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:17 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 8:49 AM

Remi - thanks for being one of the "contributors" to the article...time for acknowledgements then...some of the names I remember borrowing "quotes" from are:

Barsuk

Mike Dubois

Remi Gregoire

Jeff Moden

Scott Beckstead

Sergiy

Joe Celko

Phil Factor

Apologies to those who recognise their quotes that I may have forgotten to mention here...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Post #316216
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:21 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:45 AM

I think you got most of them...

So what were those top 10 newbie questions (from the top of you head)?

Post #316219
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:46 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, August 4, 2014 12:25 PM
Excellent article. Thanks Sushila. And I agree with Jeff that this should be required reading.

Steve, any way to pin this article to the top of the heap?
Post #316236
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:00 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 3:20 PM

Sushila, thanks for a great article!  I appreciate the time you took to go thru "older" posts and glean those quotes; reality is so much better than a made-up "for instance".  I also read more than I post, as I'm still trying to learn SQL server from a developers standpoint (coming from an MS-Access background).  It's obvious from the posts I've read that there is a dedicated core group here at SQLServerCentral that really likes to work on knotty problems, but they're always willing to help a newbie.  And most of them are very good about explaining complex solutions to the up-and-coming who post their questions.

Everyone has an aberant bad day now and then, so the occasional miffed post doesn't bother me; a trend would be of more concern.

And by the way, Sushila, I love your signature quote, and have since the first day I saw it.  It still makes me chuckle every time I see it - relevance as humor always has a place for me! 

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown
Post #316251
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:37 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:28 PM
A little human kindness goes a long way.  Let's all remember we're here to help one another.  Terrific article!
Post #316273
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:40 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:40 AM
Great article!  Answering posts can be pretty tough, especially when the poster refuses to answer any questions posed by the person trying to help. 

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #316275
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:17 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:51 AM
... and she *strikes back* with elegant writing and a very nice must-read article

* Noel
Post #316288
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:28 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:15 AM

Well mannered, well informed, well written, well done !

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #316296
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, March 10, 2013 11:33 PM
Excellent article!  I was once chased off of a forum by a scathing reply (not SSC!); don't think I have ever tried asking another question there. I had searched the forum for hours for an answer. I spent another hour trying to determine the correct location for my post. I obviously got it wrong according to one responder. Maybe you could add one more item to your article on manners ... If you're going to tell someone they are posting in the wrong location, perhaps you could suggest which is the correct location!
Post #316297
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:28 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:30 AM
Wonderful article.  It is unfortunate that some people have trouble communicating nicely.  Your article is a great reminder and support for those who are doing their best to make this a great site.
Post #316338
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse