Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Moving the SQL 2005 System Databases Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 25, 2006 12:44 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:10 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at temp

Post #311009
Posted Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:03 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

The silence is deafening ....

Post #311330
Posted Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:06 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:15 AM
Can't comment on this... I just started developping on 2005 .
Post #311331
Posted Wednesday, September 27, 2006 1:07 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:02 AM
It's a shame it writes to the registry, couldn't really use this in a controlled or production environment.. I slightly worry that this may prompt the unwary to start making changes they wouldn't normally consider.

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #311440
Posted Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:01 AM
Right there with Babe

Colin,

Thanks for the feedback. If you would, I'd appreciate some detail on your concerns.

Why would the utility not be able to be used in a controlled environment? Because xp_regwrite would not be accessable? If the system tables are to be moved, some utility (such as Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Manager) will need to write this same value to the registry, yes?

In order to automate the process, either xp_regwrite can be used, or some other way to update the registry can be. Whether that is REG.EXE, a REGEDIT input file, or direct API calls (perhaps through Perl or VB), a way to write to the registry gets exposed. I take it that your concern is that a SQL-familiar audience that may have been intimidated by API calls or unaware of registry-writing techniques has now found a way to write to the registry using a language they are familiar with.

My opinion is that most SQL programmers are familiar with either xp_regwrite or other techniques for updating the registry. The warnings about causing damage with direct registry writes abound and should be heeded, but that should not stop legitimate uses such as the utility I presented.

Again, though, thanks for your feedback. It gives me something to think about for the future.

Vince

Post #311488
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:21 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:25 AM

Worked good, after figuring out not to use quotes for the input variables, and then a problem encountered when the sqlcmd couldn't log on:

Moving files...
Restarting service with /f and trace flag 3608
The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service is starting..
The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service was started successfully.

Msg 18461, Level 14, State 1, Server L00013756, Line 1
Login failed for user 'dommainname\username(hidden)'. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one administrator can connect at this time.
Login failed for user 'dommainname\username(hidden)'. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one administrator can connect at this time.
The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service is stopping.
The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service was stopped successfully.

Restarting service MSSQLSERVER in normal mode
The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service is starting.
Verifying new location of system databases...
HResult 0x2, Level 16, State 1
Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2].

I started it back up using the net start /F /T3608 flags, ran the 'ALTER DATABASE mssqlsystemresource' scripts after logging on cmd line with sqlcmd. Then it was all good.

I also like the LOG directory to be in similar location, but that was easily changed.

Post #316083
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:36 AM
Right there with Babe

TF,

I'm guessing you had some other connect that grabbed the only server connection when it was in single-user mode. I would suggest that for next time you should disable any programs that attempt to make connections to the database.

Vince

Post #316194
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:43 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:43 AM

This is an outstanding article.  I will be using this set of scripts very heavily in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to not only write the scripts, but to document them with your article.

Jeff Bennett , St. Louis, Mo

Post #316306
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:54 AM
Right there with Babe

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. We've already used the script a number of times internally, so I was puzzled with the lack of response to the article. I'm glad you've found it useful also.

Vince

Post #316347
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:02 AM
Right there with Babe

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. We've already used the script a number of times internally, so I was puzzled with the lack of response to the article. I'm glad you've found it useful also.

Vince

Post #316352
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse