Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Forward Dependencies are not valid. Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 7:27 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:49 AM

I am working on reports from our HR system that allow a manager to only see their own direct reports data. This works fine by using the global UserID field parameter and joining to a table that contains the employee id of the supervisor as well as their network signon and then finding all the records in the personal data table where the supervisor id matches the value in this table.

However, some reports should be run on an individual and not all employees. My thought was to create a dataset where I look up all the employee ids and names that report to a supervisor as above. Then I would use this list to populate a dropdown list that the supervisor could use to choose an employee and then pass that parameter to the dataset that would populate the report. Seems logical to me but I get the following error

[rsInvalidReportParameterDependency] The report parameter ‘Emplid’ has a DefaultValue or a ValidValue that depends on the report parameter “SupSignon”. Forward dependencies are not valid.

Build complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings

If a parameter can not depend on another parameter I need some help to think outside this box I have created for myself as to how to accomplish this task.

Post #306513
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 6:04 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:41 PM
It sounds to me like the order of the parameters are wrong. Does the SupID parameter appear above the EmpId parameter in the Visual Studio Parameter box?

Just a stab, but I've had that issue before.

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
Post #306731
Posted Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:42 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:49 AM
That was exactly it. I didn't realize the order they appeared in the list was important. I do now. Thank you.
Post #306873
Posted Monday, April 2, 2007 3:39 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:05 AM
Thanks Jason!
That's just what I needed too!
Post #355478
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:00 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:39 PM
thanks Jason.. i was banging my head before i read your reply...
Post #427154
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, May 4, 2008 9:56 PM
hi,
i also had the same issue..
thanks for your reply.. now i could rectify it..
but now another issue i have..
i am using one dataset to populate a dropdown list which selecteditem is the input to second dataset..
and i have 3rd dataset which is dependant on 2nd dataset selected parameter..
if i select a particular item from the 1st dataset(dropdown list), i will not populate the 2nd dropdownlist(no o/p from 2nd dataset) .. but the 3rd data set does not require the 2nd dataset o/p to actually produce the output ie, that field can be null...

but this feature iam not able to implement ..
pls help ...
Thanks in advans........
Post #449953
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:58 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:41 PM
If I understand you correctly, add a "dummy" parameter to the dataset that you're using for #2 that will come up if that particular parameter from #1 is selected.

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
Post #449957
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 9:11 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, May 4, 2008 9:56 PM
Thanks for ur reply.. it worked.. but another issue came..

In my report i have 8 parameters.. and 3 are passed from code (from codebehind), and the rest 5 parameters will accept input from user.. but these 5 parameters depends on the role of the logged in user.. depending on the role 3- 4 parameter will get values from the user input.. the remaing 1-2 parameters will be passed with default(dummy) vaues. these are multi valued parameters...
but while running the report i am geting error " ABC" Parameter missing a value ..
Thanks in advance .........
Pls help...
Post #453057
Posted Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:33 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:10 AM
Good morning All,

Changing the order of the parameters worked a treat for me. Very _very_ happy with that. I thought I might have to throw this whole report in the bin when I saw that error... T.T

Cheers - Damien
Post #469086
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:05 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:15 AM
Result!

Thanks very much!
Post #482994
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse