Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Database Activity Monitoring/Auditing Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:21 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to set up auditing on databases that are particularly active, and generate a lot of extraneous information in the normal operation of the application.  For example, the 'sa' account may be used by the application to create and drop tables, move data around, generating tens of thousands of records in the process.  It may also act on behalf of the user, effectively masking who was doing what.

I'm curious what products may have been used, and what kind of filtering you apply.  I'm even curious who may have segregated duties to lessen the requirement for monitoring.

Thanks.

Post #305605
Posted Monday, September 4, 2006 8:00 AM
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
No one has responded to this topic yet. Even if you don't have a complete answer, the original poster will appreciate any thoughts you have!
Post #306036
Posted Monday, September 4, 2006 6:41 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:42 PM

The way we've set up auditing is to Create a local windows group and put Global group (which has all the domain users) and grant the loacl group execute permission on sps.

Then Create triggers on the table to capture the users. This has worked fine for us.

Hope this helps

Sreejith

Post #306150
Posted Monday, September 4, 2006 7:11 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:21 AM
Thanks Sreejith.  I appreciate that, and knowing any other ways people have handled things.
Post #306154
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse