Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Stress Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:51 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at  http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/2557.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #301647
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:11 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:02 AM
Becoming a contractor/consultant rather than an employee can be a good way to reduce stress!! Although I will admit you get a whole load of new factors it does take away some of the office stress factors that may distract you from being efficient.

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #303156
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:38 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

I think that depends on how steady the cash flow is!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #303172
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:20 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 9:06 PM

Good pointers Andy, stress is one of the much hidden killers

I will add something from experience though, in your "rumors of layoffs" examples you say "companies usually lay off the bottom tier of employees first". Well usually they do, in one role I found my self being in the unusal category when the company decided that the network admin and a developer could do the DBA job.

The best part was about 4 months after being laid off when they me asked back to do some DBA consulting/cleanup work. Their database backups had been failing for weeks and no-one had done anything about it and they consequently lost a pile of data. After sucking them dry for a week or two I knocked back their offer of my old job back

On becoming a contractor/consultant rather than an employee to reduce stress. Well I suppose that really depends on how you feel about contracting and what sort of contracts you get. If you're only getting short 3 month contracts, then I'd say you're more likely to be adding to your stress. On the other hand if you get a nice long 12 month contract, well need I say more ... $$$ ...

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Post #303188
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:34 AM
SSCertifiable

Thats the rub, logic doesn't always apply...and of course being close to the problem, it's not always possible to know if our logical assessment is biased overly for/against our own survival. I'll probably due a follow up to talk about layoffs more...an interesting if stressful subject!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #303278
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:09 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:45 PM

Loved the article and glad to have the information from another point of view. I have been in the field for over 30 years and have seen people come and go. Many left early and went into other lines of work. Burn out was a problem and still is.

As professionals we need to realize that a shooting star is bright and folks see it but is short lived. And remember that it is better to take time now rather then meds later.

Yes I have worked more the 40/week and been on call, developed business critical, realtime projects in very demanding situations, and through all that I have learned if I do not take the time I need for myself and my family then I have nothing to give to any one.

After all this maybe I should take the rest of the day off.

Later...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #303289
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:01 PM

I think it is important to note that stress can cause physical sickness.  To get technical, mental stress causes oxidative stress, which can cause premature aging, reduced immune system effectiveness, and is the leading factor in most degenerative diseases.  This can be combated by a good solid nutritional program including a good balanced diet, quality nutritional supplements and plenty of extra anti-oxidants.  So diet and lifestyle choices can have a major impact on how mental stress affects your life long term.

John Rowan

======================================================
======================================================
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
Post #303301
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 2:11 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:55 AM

I agree that being a contractor has less stress at work.  I don't have to worry about company politices, gossip (usually no one cares about contractor), review, competition except I worry about the length of my contract and if I will get another contract if the existing contract ends.

The best thing is if the company want me to work overtime, I get paid.  Now being an employee, I don't get a dime even I work 60 hours a week.

Post #303338
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:09 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:02 AM
Yeah it's a funny old world. I recommend a diet of strong coffee, choc bars, snacks, fast food ...... but seriously folks .. I think recognising the signs of stress is important - if you can do that you're half way there!

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #303364
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:52 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:36 AM
Its always useful to allocate sometime (as our usual work - without complaining NO TIME) to do some sports activities that are inetersting to you... (Badminton, Swimming etc). You may meet some people in a sports complex from other fields (Non - IT) and talk about something other than technology, which will relief you a lot from stress.

Doing Yoga and Meditation early in the morning before office hours help a lot for the whole day to work smoothly and challenge anything without stress..!!!

-Sen
Post #303398
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse