Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Free SQL Prompt 2.0 valuable, but flawed; V3.0 being built from scratc Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 1:06 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/pressrelease/freesqlprompt20valuablebutflawedv30beingbuiltfroms.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #297282
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:42 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 12, 2012 9:27 AM

Hi,

I'm just a .NET Developer, but I find myself working with databases more and more these days as I'm doing some migration from a legacy system to our newer stuff.

I've found this tool to be good, but not great. I didn't expect that it would be great, because it's free but it's certainly helped me a lot.

I have found that it doesn't work out intellisense in some places where I'd expect it should, but I'd imagine that's where version 3.0 will fill in the hole.

I'm very tempted to buy 3.0 now for $99 but is there a list of what doesn't work in 2.0 that will work in 3.0?

Post #297307
Posted Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:15 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Shame it just doesn't work.
No way I will pay for v3 based on the rubbish in v2.

Post #297310
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:28 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:09 PM

Why do you say that? What exactly doesn't work? I've found it works in most places, missing a few irritating things (like picking up new tables, or when using 3-part naming).

Before you judge version 3, remember that they bought version 2 from another company, didn't feel that it was worth selling and are completely rewriting it. Version 3 isn't going to be a modificiation to version 2, it's giong to be a complete re-do.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #297321
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:38 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:20 AM
I can really appreciate the fact that a company has the guts to admit to their user community/clients that a mistake has been made and, even more important, will be corrected.
I am for sure willing to give version 3 a try. Will there be a trial version? Limited use is ok by me, as long as it provides a fair insight of the look and feel in the fully licensed product.
Post #297347
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:41 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:55 AM
I'd hate to think that anyone at Red-Gate should think that the views of 'alanrobinson' represent anything more than his own eccentric thoughts. The decision to give away a product like this was a good one which we, as SQL Server professionals, should support wholeheartedly. It was good for the potential users  because it has given us a chance to request features right at the start of a total rebuild. This is obviously the best time to do it. I used SQLPrompt before it was acquired by Red-Gate and liked it. I also was impressed by the potential of being able to provide a variety of add-in functionality to the Query Analyser/SSMS. With the existing product, the ideas and 'vision' were right, but it needed an experienced development team like Red-Gate to make it into a servicable product. I'd ask 'alanrobinson' to wait until the new product is released before passing judgement because I'm sure he'll change his mind.

Editor: Simple-Talk
Post #297348
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, June 1, 2014 1:33 AM
It was really brave decision to redesign the whole application from scratch adn I think it gonna be excelelnt product muche better than buggy v2.

Post #297353
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:28 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:34 PM
Alan I respect your opinion but to say the product was "rubbish" is a bit harsh. If you look around the net you'll find a lot of free "rubbish" most of which is just off knock offs of other products. I found the product to be buggy and the version that I receved did expire but would likley use this tool. I am not the beat typer in the world.
as for the 99 bones I spend more on dinner sometimes so that doesn't bother me.
Post #297393
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:57 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, December 2, 2013 3:56 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for being so candid about this product and your plans for the new version.  It's not often we find out the 'real deal' on software and I have to say, it was very refreshing.   

I started using v2 a few weeks ago and although it's not perfect, I really like it.  Hey, it's a lot better than what we had before.     I will definitely be purchasing v3 when it's available.  As an instructor, I am telling all my students about your product and I will pass on the information about v2/v3. 

Jen

Post #297402
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:38 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 2, 2012 4:41 AM
You what? Didn't you bother to read the article at all? And why on earth are you complaining about something that's _free_? If you don't like it then delete it and move on. Quit bitching.

Personally I thing that SQL Prompt is just great. It really fills a hole and as for being totally free: that I love!
Post #297424
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse