Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

SQL Prompt IntelliSense for SQL Server Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 11:22 AM

Bart,

Could you comment on license from the legacy version?  I like this product and it has helped me an our developers do our job more efficiently.  I am sure that some of the bugs will be worked out by you guys.

Post #295165
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:23 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 1:49 PM

On my case the program takes a lot of memory m and ussing version 2.0.0 , some times takes 128 MB of memory.

Pedro R. Lopez
http://madurosfritos.blogspot.com/
Post #295178
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:53 AM

Tried it. Hated it. Uninstalled it. The look and feel is yuk. It looks like something that was written for windows 3.1. Maybe I didn't set it up right but it kept bugging me to log in, just when I was starting to write a bunch of SQL. It was more of a pain than a help. I would be interested in such a tool and would find features such as parameter order for functions like DatePart a benefit. It still needs some work in my view. I may take a look at subsequent releases.

Post #295198
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:53 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:28 AM

Once of heard of this tool and the fact that in worked with Query analyzer and Ultra Edit made me want to try it out.  But like many of the other responses, I found the tool to be rather buggy.

First the fact that the prompts work some of the time but not all of the time is rather annoying.

Also, when I prefix a table then begin typing in the "where" clause, SQL Prompt will bring up a list of all the columns rather then waiting until I enter the prefix.  Once you press the dot it inserts the column that started with the same letter as the prefix (unless you type fast then it simply inserts the first column in the list).  For example instead of "select * from TableA a where a.<list of columns>" I get "select * from TableA a where aColumn".

I've seen the performance hit mentioned before but after a few seconds it seemed to get better.  Hopefully this will be improved in the next release.

So in the end not much time is safed by using this version because I must constantly undo and retype or check that not only if the prompt comes up but if it displaying the correct information.  Maybe I didn't have it configured right but then again I really didn't want to spend a lot of time tweeking the tool just to get it to work correctly for a basic query.

I think the idea is great and will definitly revisit this when 3.0 is released, but even free is too much for me for the current version.

ds

Post #295202
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 10:18 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, January 17, 2014 11:05 AM
I tried this roughly 2-3 weeks ago and found a lot of the same issues. Using it was extremely slow and it consumed a great deal of system resources. While it might help with database schema, one thing I like about intellisense generators is that they save me time in typing out long lists of columns, etc... This one definitely didn't. While I've been a huge fan of Red Gate's products in the past, I think this one needs to mature a little bit before I'll get all that excited about it.

Not to hawk another product here, but I was using ApexSQL Edit for a while which has similar functionality and seemed to be better performing. However that product had its own problems with memory leaks and stability in other areas. I'm wondering if they've fixed those yet.
Post #295224
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:35 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:03 AM
I tried this product a month ago. The CPU utilization goes up to 99% when it's sucking all the relational data in, but it drops back down after that. Which is pretty much fine, although kind of brutish.

But I uninstalled it anyway. Maybe I'm just a fast coder, but it's way to slow! If they speed it up it could be pretty cool.

Signature is NULL
Post #295258
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:54 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:20 PM
I have to agree with the majority of posters here. I installed it but haven't really found it to be beneficial.

It hasn't been a real resource hog that I've noticed, but it just doesn't work that well. I just expect different things than it is listing while I type. Overall I find that it doesn't save any time or keystrokes because it is never suggesting what I'm looking for.

Post #295263
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:24 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:30 AM

I do alot of development in addition to writting SQL code and have really gotten hooked on intellisence.  I know that in a perfect world, rules would be followed so all the naming conventions were the same.  As it stands we have multiple naming conventions in place, which makes it very difficult to remember exactly what convention was used for a given database or table.  Also in SQL2000 (probubly 2005 as well), when writing SQL code you had to ensure that you were writing case sensitive code if you wanted SQL server to be able to reuse its execution plans correctly.  Having intellisense helps me get things done right.

However, I have worked in SQL for so long without intelisense that I wouldn't be all that handycapped not to have it.

I haven't taken the time to customize my menus yet so I won't comment on that one.  The one annoying bug I have found so far is in SQL2005's management studio.  It occurs when I open a table, select a column name from the criteria pane, and press tab to move off of the selection.  Management studio freezes for several seconds before a I get a .NET runtime error which asks me if I want to terminate the program or continue with it.  So far I have just told it to ignore the error and continue which has worked fine, however I have tried to cut down on my use of the tab key in this area.  I did try going into SQL Prompts options and disabled the tab key.  This fix didn't work at the time, however I have recently rebooted my computer and can't recreate the problem so maybe it is fixed now.

Post #295268
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:07 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, July 30, 2012 1:23 PM

A few points:

An early beta of Yukon (first beta iirc) did indeed have intellisense.  It was awesome.

SQL Prompt was resource intensive so even though it was very cool, I quit using it.  No problem, I can live without it, but I liked the idea.

And as to the complaint of some people that intellisense is intrusive, unnecessary, whatever:  turn it off if you don't like it.  I don't know of any development app where you can't turn it off if you want to, but for me, it's useful to be able to browse through all the methods, function, properties, etc, and darned handy to save typing.

John Scarborough
MCDBA, MCSA
Post #295294
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:33 PM
Right there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:30 AM

That would have been great, bummer they took it out.  I know they removed it because of a time crunch but do you know if they are planning on adding it back in with a service pack?

Post #295309
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse