Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

SQL Prompt IntelliSense for SQL Server Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:48 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/WFillis/sqlpromptintellisenseforsqlserver.asp

When in doubt - test, test, test!

Wayne

Post #290553
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:02 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:54 AM

Test test test is right Wayne.

I installed the freely distributed version 1.0 of SQLPrompt on my machine, and it ran away with all the system resources, taking 99% of the CPU utilization. I had to deinstall it again, much as I liked the functionality, I couldn't accept the impact it was having on the performance of my machine...

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Post #295040
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 3:39 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:20 AM
I appreciate the effort the author has made to install and test the utility and write an article to inform his fellow Sql Server professionals.
But showing that the utility presents a list of column names after a tablename is used after the FROM keyword and next presenting the statement
select * from sysconstraints.id
Where <list of suggestions>

followed by the remark "I’m sure by now you can see the benefits of this tool if you are unfamiliar with the database schema." is of such poor quality that I had no choice but to rate this article as poor.
Heck, I was so confused by the authors enthusiasm that I started to doubt my Sql knowledge and tried to execute "select * from sysconstraints.id", thinking it might be a new shorthand notation for "select * from (select id from sysconstraints) c".

By the way: frankly, I'm dissapointed that the intellisense list in
select * from sysconstraints.id
Where <list of suggestions>
Starts with (or maybe even exclusively contains?!) functions instead of column names from the table after the FROM (or tablenames/aliases if more than one table/alias present). Also I would have expected the _Intelli_Sense utility NOT to suggest column names after a tablename directly following a FROM keyword.
In the end this article and David le Quesne's comment have been usefull: I'll wait for the al new version 2.0 of this utility before I'll give it a try.

Edit:
I noticed that a word of criticism is also in place for myself: I rushed into rating the article as poor and writing this comment after the "select from column" statement, which prevented me from noticing the "what to show in suggestion list" customization option. This could very well invalidate my remark regarding the function names in the list, but I am for sure not the person who is going to test this.

Edit2: Just noticed that this is the 2.0 version, so, I'll have to wait for the 3.0 version...
Post #295060
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 5:50 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:34 PM
I ahd the same problem with it impacting my system. Plus it said it was a free download but after the eval it shut it's self off and was annoying that everytime I logged in it popped up saying "your evaluation of SQL Prompt has expired" ended up uninstalling. I like the feature as I like the fact I don't need to type (I'm a lazy dba).
I would try it again and gladly pay for the program if the bugs were fixed.
Post #295086
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:01 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, April 3, 2007 11:22 AM

My company bought a license from the guy that did this before Red-Gate bought it. I was please with the last version 1.4 before it was sold.  It did take some resources. I switched back from 2.0 to 1.4.  Hopefully our licenses will be retroactive.

Post #295138
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:32 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:02 AM
Hi Christopher,

It sounds to me like you've got the initial beta version of SQL Prompt 2.0 that went out some time ago. The release version is completely free and therefore contains no evaluation popup. My best suggestion is that you download and reinstall the version from:

http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Prompt/index.htm

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

====================================
Bart Read
.NET Developer Tools Project Manager
Red Gate Software Ltd
www.red-gate.com
====================================
Post #295146
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:36 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:15 AM
Thanks for the follow up Bart - nice to see vendors monitoring discussions about their products.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #295148
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:46 AM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:38 AM

I'm having similiar slowness problems. When it is searching the database for a list of fields or tables to show, my cpu is tagged and it acutally slows me down instead of speeding me up. I typically have to wait 2-5 seconds before my cursor will move again. In that time I could have just typed it out. Also I find if I am not looking at the screen and just typing away, prompt may have put up its pop-up, slowed my system down and I chose something from the list instead of doing what I was typing.

Neat idea, but it appears to slow me down more than help.

Thanks Red Gate -  hopefully the next version will get the lead out.

Post #295152
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:53 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 4, 2009 8:33 AM

I just downloaded the newest version (2.0.0.0) and was happy until I read the comment from bnordberg about typing with their head down.

If I type in:

"select * from " and let the application list the tables to choose from, and select a table (Agency), it displays:

"select * from Agency", which is fine. And if I then add "where ", it pops up a list of field names, which is also fine.

However, if I am typing away and type in:

"select * from agency where ", the intellisense program lists all of the functions, none of the fields for the table "Agency". It is as if it is case sensitive. If i go back and replace the "a" with "A", it shows the table fields.

Guess I'll have to experiment with it. I love the concept, because I'm sort of a newbie to a lot of the sql syntax, and some of the tables I work with were not quite consistent with their field naming conventions (agencyid, agencycode, agencynumber may all refer to same data in different tables...).

Thanks

Steve

Post #295157
Posted Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:57 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, September 7, 2007 1:13 AM

I have been using SQLPrompt for a while and still like it.  It doesn't always work but I've learnt to work around it.  The slowness is usually just when you open up a new connection.  INSERT statements seem to produce a list of tables rather than columns of the table you are writing the statement for.  I also get times when it just stops giving me options completely. 

I wouldn't write it off completely though.  It's a great idea and some features are really useful.  If Red Gate can iron out the bugs it'll be worth paying for IMHO.

Post #295160
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse