Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Reporting on Hierarchical Recursive data using Reporting Services Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:21 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/aSayed/reportingonhierarchicalrecursivedatausingreporting.asp
Post #289514
Posted Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:04 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:39 AM
Did anybody else try this?  I'm getting flat output without indentation or hierarchy - everybody on level 1. 

Post #293892
Posted Wednesday, July 12, 2006 2:09 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with my dataset and the way I named the columns.  I inadvertantly named my 3rd DataTable column Reports_To.  And now I'm not getting any data for the field in my report.  Interestingly, it appears that the data set (dsReport - I think?) has the data, but the rds doesn't.  But since I was supposed to know what I was doing in C# & Reporting Services before attempting this exercise, I guess you needn't worry too much about me.  If I see a C# guy walking by I'll hijack his debugging skills.

Post #293911
Posted Wednesday, July 12, 2006 6:12 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:21 PM

Hi,

You can give anything name to a column, it wont make any diffrence to reporting service if you call it "Reports_To" instead of "ReportsTo".  I would suggest to take a close look again on Report Design section of the article and make sure you are properly defining the detail grouping.

Post #293957
Posted Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 8, 2006 4:27 AM

Definately going to try it.

Thxs

Post #294006
Posted Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:27 PM
Has anyone tried this with a parent-child dimension in SSAS?  Can you post how you accomplished it?  Thanks.
Post #305438
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2007 9:58 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:44 AM
I'm trying to do this with SSRS 2005 but instead of showing indentation I want to use the drill down + option so you will see the CEO at the top with a single + and then be able to expand that out for each level.

However, I can't think of any slick way to do that... has anyone else pulled that off?
Post #405739
Posted Monday, December 10, 2007 10:38 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2008 1:58 PM
yes, I got it to work with drill down.

For some reason though, if i dont set initial visibility to "visible", the initial expression stays in effect. I wanted the initial visibility to be just one or two levels deep but that expression stayed in effect. For now I'm living with intial visibilty set to "visible".
Post #431423
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:32 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:54 AM
Is there anyway to group on a recursive hierarchy? When I try to add a group that would be underneath the recursive hierarchy it doesn't display right.
Post #449774
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:12 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:33 AM
aktikt, im not sure exactly what you like to accomplish but maybe this helps.

(This applies to Table layouts, havent tested it with Matrix layout)
To make a recursive hierarchy with drilldown in reporting services from an SSAS OLAP cube (with parent-child hierarchy) you:

1. Include the hierarchy in your dataset by drag-n-dropping the parent-child hierarchy in the query designer. Let's call this hieararchy "Employees".
2. Create a table with one column (more if you like to put in values); The first textbox shall contain =Fields!Employees.Value
3. Select the table -> Properties -> Groups tab -> Details Grouping.
4. In the details grouping view under "Group on:" -> "Expression", add =Fields!Employees.UniqueName
4. In the details grouping view under "Parent group:", add =Fields!Employees.ParentUniqueName
5. If you like a document map with the hierarchy, under "Document map label:", add =Fields!Employees.Value
6. Still in the details grouping view, go to the visibility tab.
7. Set "Initial visibility:" to "Hidden".
8. Check "Visibility can be toggled by another report item.
9. Under "Report item:" choose the textbox in the column which you created in step 2.
10. Hopefully, this works. There might be other ways to do this... :)
Post #449843
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse