Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

import TEXT file into varchar(max) Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:14 AM
Hi all,

It's another work day, which means it's another question from the bemused...

I have a flat file source - a text file that will contain an undefined about of text. I want to import the entirety of that into a varchar(max) column. Currently I'm trying to do this in SSIS, using SSIS compoent, but I'm have a few issues - a couple of complaints about conversion from str to text (according to the component, it seemed to think that varchar(maz) = text. I cahnged the target column to a varchar(8000), and it worked. That's not going to be a solution, since I'm pretty certain we are looking at > 8000 characters.

Is there another way, or am I going to have to sink to using an SP, giving it the path to a file, and doing all the work 'outside' SSIS?

I've tried:
1> Text Source to SQL Destination
2> Import Column task

am I missing the boat again?
Post #288463
Posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:00 AM
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
No one has responded to this topic yet. Even if you don't have a complete answer, the original poster will appreciate any thoughts you have!
Post #289341
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse