Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Back Up Your Database With USB Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 16, 2014 3:57 AM
Why RAID 1, with what? Are you doing the RAID with two partitions on the same drive? How does that help? If the drive fails, it fails, and you can't get to either RAID partition. Surely you should run two 500GB drives instead? (RAID 1 on the same drive can only really protect against bad sectors)
Post #367065
Posted Friday, May 18, 2007 6:49 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 11:42 AM

How often is your data burned to dvd\cd and moved offsite.  Or is this not important.  I wish i could utilized a 500GB storage device for a month of backups.  One of the 100+ servers I monitor\maintain has a 2TB backup drive for a single full backup.  With something that size we look to replication, tape library and offsite storage.  Everyday the backups are shipped off site.  Obviously it is a function of scale but there are 10MB databases that are far more important than 2TB db's.  Another good question is security.  Tapes can be encrypted, password protected, and are software specific often times.  This could be important depending what is in that db.  On some of my smaller sites we can leverage a single tape for everything on the server which is very nice.  I would also bet that tape media will outlast the dvd\cd media if stored properly.  On the otherhand dvd\cd will withstand the elements better.   Just some food for though. 

Post #367145
Posted Friday, May 18, 2007 2:09 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:58 PM
Why USB? FireWire 800 as IEEE1394b is faster. External SATA as eSATA even faster. We use IEEE1394b and eSATA for backups.
Post #367349
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse