Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

SQL 2000 to SQL 2005: Where have all the old features gone? Expand / Collapse
Author

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:16 AM
If this really were true then most of the backwards compatiblity would be gone. You can connect to SQL 2000 servers using SSMS and, by and large, manage them pretty well. If this were a new product that wouldn't exist.

Then again, Microsoft would lose a lot of marketshare if they did that.

Yes, it is a new product but part of me believes the team for SQL2005 made some design decisions in a vacuum.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

Post #285198
Posted Friday, October 27, 2006 8:17 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:45 PM
I couldn't find a way to right click on a database, back it up and in the same time schedule that backup. It helped me a lot in 2k to schedule databases backup.

Post #318730
Posted Friday, October 27, 2006 10:58 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, January 17, 2014 1:22 PM
I miss the ability to play a given .wav file when a query finishes.  In SSMS we only have the option to play the Windows default beep.

- Paul

http://paulpaivasql.blogspot.com/
Post #318786
Posted Friday, March 16, 2007 3:42 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:53 AM
Very interesting subject.
I have a couple of questions.
1. I am wondering what happened to the feature that you could select multiple objects to script and select the output to one file per object.
2. When I choose windows ANSI format in sql2k, comments in greek were scripted OK. In SSMS are not.
Is there any fix?
Post #352014
Posted Friday, March 16, 2007 6:32 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Saturday, September 20, 2014 10:29 AM

Very interesting article.  

I too miss the ability to copy stored procedures!  One has to wonder if they simply forgot about it . . .

I am somewhat surprised no one is mentioning how screwed up Diagrams are.  Why didn't they just leave them alone???

To the person complaining about 2005 being too slow -- I put more memory in one of my PCs and that perked it up a bit.

Post #352046
Posted Friday, March 23, 2007 5:47 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:22 AM
Well intended, but remember we're...we're not supposed to query those good old sys tables anymore (sysfiles)!  There's another sys. view that replaced that, but I'll have to find that and post again.

Post #353475
Posted Friday, April 27, 2007 1:30 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 19, 2009 3:16 AM

Given that SSMS is a rework of the Visual Studio, why oh why did MS turn off all the good stuff? Specifically, all the Addin and extensibility bits. If they had left this in then, as a community, I am sure we could put all the "missing features" back in.

RedGate seem to have hacked addins into SSMS so perhaps there is hope for us yet...

Post #361445
Posted Friday, April 27, 2007 1:59 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 10:22 AM
It is in SSMS Express that Microsoft took out the addins and extensibility. One can only guess that Microsoft saw it as an easy way of differentiating the two products, in the hope that you'll want to upgrade. It makes it  more awkward for any provider of Add-ins like SQL Refactorer because of the need to explain to customers, and those trying them out, why the product won't work on certain versions of SSMS.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #361447
Posted Friday, April 27, 2007 4:05 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 12:54 AM

Where have all the new articles gone?

It's a good article and an interesting subject....but it's a repeat!

Also, since its original publication, we've had SP2, so some of the comments (notably about scripting) are no longer valid.

Shouldn't this be in the One Year Ago section?  (Or is it too old for that?)

Post #361457
Posted Friday, April 27, 2007 8:14 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:17 AM

I have a list of complaints about Mgt. Studio vs. Ent. Manager, ones that people have not addressed...

Can no longer grant a user access to a list of tables in one GUI screen. Each table grant is a seperate task.

I really miss taskpad. I liked the mdf/ldf allocated and used in your face so you can see what part of the logspace is being used and not used.

Simple easy naviation is gone.

Query tool install as a stanalone product. Some developers only need to query a table from time to time. Why do I have to install ALL of this bulky stuff and give them a lesson on how to simply log in and be able to run one select statement. Why can't I simply install a Query Analyzer on a persons PC that only needs to run a query once in a while. We have tons of these type situations here.

Why is using the import / export wizard to simply move data from a table so bulky. After the package is created it is not easily viewable and understandable what that package does.

Granted, there are some improvements in Mgt. Studio, however, I have never see so many features removed for a product upgrade.

Post #361539
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse