Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Question of the Day for 06 Feb 2006 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the Question of the Day for 06 Feb 2006 posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/testcenter/qod.asp?QuestionID=700.
Post #255900
Posted Monday, February 6, 2006 10:01 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:03 PM
I answered correctly, but the answers about the account not having Delete rights are valid too. Create Files / Write Data , Delete and Delete Subfolders and Files are 3 different advanced permissions for NTFS

Regards,
Yelena Varshal

Post #256070
Posted Monday, February 6, 2006 11:57 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:51 PM
I agree with your point that the "permissions options" are valid issues especially when best practices were mentioned.

I think the point of the question was that best practices, as implemented in the wizard, are not complete and require some additional steps to create a practical backup process.

--Peter

Post #256113
Posted Wednesday, March 4, 2009 2:26 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, September 24, 2012 8:10 AM
Bit late in the game, but trying to catch up. The question did mention they were setup with "best practices". Best practices would indicate that you would delete old backups...

Cheers,
Brian
Post #668706
Posted Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:49 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 4:52 AM
Peter Kryszak (2/6/2006)
I agree with your point that the "permissions options" are valid issues especially when best practices were mentioned.

I think the point of the question was that best practices, as implemented in the wizard, are not complete and require some additional steps to create a practical backup process.

--Peter

Maybe, but wouldn't best practises also include ensuring that permissions were correct, and ensuring that the requirement for these permissions was documented in such a way that future changes would take it into account?

Given that best practises clearly were no followed, I just went for the most obvious failure. I've had a junior person do that to one of my customers, and another do it to an in-house system; both were on Sql 2000 not on Sql 2005 but the principle is no different. I've never seen a disc filled by old backups through missing delete permissions. So it seems clear to me what the most obvious is, and I agree with the officially correct answer.

Tom
Post #1338871
Posted Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:14 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:11 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (8/1/2012)
Peter Kryszak (2/6/2006)

--Peter

Maybe, but wouldn't best practises also include ensuring that permissions were correct, and ensuring that the requirement for these permissions was documented in such a way that future changes would take it into account?

Given that best practises clearly were no followed, I just went for the most obvious failure. I've had a junior person do that to one of my customers, and another do it to an in-house system; both were on Sql 2000 not on Sql 2005 but the principle is no different. I've never seen a disc filled by old backups through missing delete permissions. So it seems clear to me what the most obvious is, and I agree with the officially correct answer.

To be fair, it only says best practises were used to build the maintenance plan, but not necessarily to set up the log backup.
Post #1495622
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse