Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Login failed for user ''NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON''. [SQLSTATE 28000] (Error 18456) Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:01 AM
Check this out:
http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/12/02/understanding-kerberos-and-ntlm-authentication-in-sql-server-connections.aspx
Post #723473
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:32 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:34 PM
just had this happen to me

i'm setting up backup monitoring like in the article from a few weeks ago. not using a powershell script because i have some old clients. just setting up SQL jobs with the raw code. tried the code on my laptop and got the error. RDP'd into a server and tried it from there and it worked.

looked it up and it's the double kerberos jump like someone said earlier in the thread.

https://plus.google.com/100125998302068852885/posts?hl=en
http://twitter.com/alent1234
x-box live gamertag: i am null
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile[/url]
Post #742057
Posted Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:55 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 3:28 PM
I know this thread is old, but I am going to share what worked for me.

Disable all network Protocols execpt TCP/IP on the instance you are trying to make a linked server connection to. Bounce the service and make the linked server connection using current security context.

I make it a best pratice to on all installs to:
1. Disable the browser service.
2. disable all network protocols, but TCP/IP.
3. Change Defalut Port. (Setup Alias)
Post #858371
Posted Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:55 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:09 AM
I have overcome this problem by restarting my PC.
Post #875521
Posted Monday, August 30, 2010 4:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:19 AM
Hi,
solution for this issue is give remote login user id and password in linked server properties.

1.Add linked server using sp_addlinkedserver 'server name'
2.Right Click -->Properties --> Security -->Add --> Give Remote User & password for Local Login
3.Below that u can find a text 'For a login not defined in the list above,Connection will' with four radio button options
Select last option - Be made using this security context Remote Login with password.

This simple solution worked for me.

Thanks
Deepika
Post #977222
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:41 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:12 AM
I'd like to bring this topic back up because I don't quite understand the last post.

My background:
Application running on Windows 2003 server
ApplicationPool username is 'dotnetsysadmin'
My application opens a web browser which is an aspx page (I bring that up because I'm not sure if the app would be sending the "System.Current.Username", or whatever it is, or if it's 'dotnetsysadmin'
I've run these different versions of the sp_addlinkedsrvlogin script:
EXEC sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @rmtsrvname = N'labdevrpt', @useself = N'True', @locallogin = 'IDOT\dotnetsysadmin', @rmtuser = 'dotnetsysadmin'
EXEC sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @rmtsrvname = N'labdevrpt', @useself = N'False', @locallogin = 'IDOT\dotnetsysadmin', @rmtuser = 'dotnetsysadmin'

For the first of those, I get this error in my application:
An error occurred trying to retrieve the RDARS data. Check the ExceptionLog for more details. A SqlClient.SqlException happened in ExecuteFill! Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

And for the second, I get this error:
An error occurred trying to retrieve the RDARS data. Check the ExceptionLog for more details. A SqlClient.SqlException happened in ExecuteFill! Login failed for user 'dotnetsysadmin'.

The previous poster said to RightClick->Properties->Security->Add, then something after that, but where do I right-click? Or does anyone know how to fix this?

BTW - I've sent in a request to our DBA to run the 2nd version of that script while defining the username AND password, because our server team won't let us know what the application password is...
Post #1002740
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:07 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Is this a web application?
Does the SQL Server you are trying to reach on the server or is it on another server?

If it is on another server I bet you are getting into a kerberos problem.

If you want to check your Keberos for a web server I found this utility great for troubleshooting my problems.

http://www.iis.net/community/default.aspx?tabid=34&g=6&i=1887
Post #1002773
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:16 AM
Valued Member

Also, This is the way I run all of my SQL Instances and I don't have any problems with login issues. It may or may not be correct but it works well for me.

1. Enable TCP/IP Client protocol only. (Disable the rest)
--Change Port number
2. Alias the Instance name with the new port number. (This is the key)
3. Setup Alias on the agent so I can join my MSX/TSX Correctly.
4. When I create a linked server I use with trusted connections.
--Always make sure I alias the remote machine.
5. I always use AD Accounts/Groups to contorl my security. I never assign a local and/or group/AD Account security to remote login.

Post #1002783
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:37 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Matthew Clifford (10/12/2010)
Is this a web application?
Does the SQL Server you are trying to reach on the server or is it on another server?

If it is on another server I bet you are getting into a kerberos problem.

If you want to check your Keberos for a web server I found this utility great for troubleshooting my problems.

"Is it a web application" - Kind of. The part of the application that is trying to do the linkedserver query IS a web page.

The application runs from multiple application servers, then there is a SQL Server on a different server, then there is a 2nd SQL Server which is where my data resides (hence the linkedserver query). So I'm guessing it's the kerberos thing that you said, since the application and database are on different servers...I'll try your link.

Thanks
Post #1002801
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:39 AM
SSC Veteran

Matthew Clifford (10/12/2010)

Unfortunately, I am running IIS 5.0 and this only works with 6 and 7. Damn!
Post #1002804
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse